Fix Windows Error Code 0x80073afc With Some Effective Hacks
Windows defender is an in-built antivirus program of Windows Operating System that helps the users to protect the essential data, files, folders from any unwanted attacks. But it is not free from random flaws. Windows error code 0x80073afc is one of the most common issues faced by several Windows users and is related to Windows Defender not working correctly.
This error message occurs when Windows Defender doesn’t start automatically and users try to start the program manually. Sometimes the initialization phase of the Windows Defender goes wrong and shows the error code 0x80073afc.
If you are also encountering the same error and are searching the solutions to it, then you have arrived at the right place. Here, in this post, you will get to know some effective hacks which can help you to fix this issue in no time.
Easy Tips and Tricks to Fix Windows Defender Error Code 0x80073afc
There are a lot of ways to fix this error. Hence, you need to stick to the hacks explained below. You should perform all the methods one-by-one and check which one is appropriate for you.
Procedure 1: Uninstall the Antivirus Program
Windows Defender is specifically designed to run as a default antivirus program on Windows Operating System. But, it can’t run with other third-party antivirus tools.
So, if you are facing the error code 0x80073afc, then you need to make sure that you are using the Windows Defender after disabling the third-party antivirus tool. Windows Defender always turns itself off when you install any other third-party antivirus tool on your computer.
Hence, by disabling the antivirus programs, you can fix this error. Go to the system tray of the Taskbar and right-click on the antivirus icon. If you are unable to locate the antivirus, then you should tap on the up arrow located on the right corner of the taskbar to see the hidden icon.
Now, right-click on the antivirus icon and tap on the ‘Disable’ option. It will disable the antivirus completely. Now, you should check if the error is still appearing or not. If you find that the issue not resolved, then move on to the next solutions.
Procedure 2: Change the Registry
If the registry was modified by any malicious program, then it can trigger the error code 0x80073afc. To solve this issue, you have to change the registry. But, before going to do that, you have to make sure that you create a backup of the registry.
How do you Change the Registry?
- Hit the R and Windows key simultaneously from the keyboard.
- It will invoke the Run Command box. Type “regedit” on the Run box and hit the Enter to proceed further. Else, you can also tap on the OK button.
- Navigate to the ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionImage File Execution’ Options key that is located at the left panel of the Registry Editor window.
- Now, you have to find the ‘msconfig.exe’, ‘MpUXSrv.exe’, ‘MpCmdRun.exe’, ‘MSASCui.exe’, keys from the current window. After locating the files, right-click on them. Select the ‘Delete’ option from the list.
- After removing the key, restart the computer and check whether the issue has been fixed or not.
Procedure 3: Check for the Problematic Updates
According to some users, certain Windows updates often trigger the error code 0x80073afc to appear. Hence, to fix this error, you should try to eliminate the problematic update from your computer. To do this, perform the steps as follows:
- Go to the Start menu.
- Tap on the gear-shaped Settings icon.
- Navigate to the ‘Update & Security’ category.
- Tap on the Advanced options under the Windows Update tab.
- Tap on the ‘View your update history’ option.
- Select the ‘Uninstall updates’ from the next page.
- It will take you to the Installed Updates window. Now, just find the update which you wish to eliminate from the computer. Double-click on it to eliminate it.
- Restart the computer and check if the issue has been fixed.
Procedure 4: Using System Restore
Some users fixed this error by restoring the system with the help of the System Restore tool. You can easily run this tool by following the steps provided below.
- In the beginning, hit the S and Windows Key simultaneously from the keyboard and launch restore. Choose the ‘Restore Point’ option.
- It will take you to the System Properties window. Tap on the ‘System Restore’ option.
- It will start the restoring process. Tap on the Next option.
- Choose the restore point that you wish to revert to and again tap on the Next option.
- Now, you should follow the on-screen prompts to restore the computer.
- Once the restoring process finishes, you should restart the system to save the changes.
Procedure 5: Run the SFC or System File Checker
Now, you should try to run the System File Checker to check if it can fix the error code 0x80073afc. SFC helps the users to scan the entire system for any corrupted system files. After locating the corrupted system files, it will fix them automatically.
How do you Run the System File Checker?
- First, bring up the Start menu.
- Type “cmd” in the search field.
- Right-click on the ‘Command Prompt’ option from the search result.
- Select the ‘Run as Administrator’ option from the list to run the Command Prompt with administrator privilege.
- Now, type the command “sfc/scannow” on the Command Prompt window and hit the Enter key from the keyboard to execute the command.
- As a result, it will start to scan the entire system for any corrupted system files and it will fix them by itself.
- After completing the scanning process, you should close the Command Prompt window and restart the system to save the changes.
Summing it Up…
In this post, we have described some of the easiest methods to troubleshoot the Windows defender error code 0x80073afc. We hope, after successfully applying the above hacks, it will surely assist you to put an end to this error.
Sometimes, it also becomes difficult to perform the above fixes without any technical expertise. Hence, if you face any kinds of problem while performing the above methods, you should connect with a tech expert. In addition, you can also share your queries and valuable feedback through the comment section given at the end of this guide.