How To Fix Unable To Initialize Steam API Error?
Steam is a platform for developing and playing games. Many gamers are complaining that they are facing this error whenever they are going to launch a game. The error says “Unable to initialize Steam API: Error”.
This error relies upon the user’s computer settings or the Steam clients. However, there are not any universal fixes to resolve the error. Though we have investigated the issue and provided some fixes to remove the error, first, let’s go through the probable causes of this error.
Probable Causes Which Lead to Unable to Initialize Steam API:
First of all, this belongs to the category of broad error. Basically, the error can occur in any game and behaves differently for each and every game.
Below we have listed the most common causes that are causing the error.
- The firewall on your device may restrict the Steam to initialize API.
- There’s a chance that third-party antivirus might list the game in the Auto-containment list due to bug issues.
- There’s some issue with the Steam Beta clients.
Now, let’s dive into the next section where solutions have been discussed.
How to Resolve Unable to Initialize the Steam API issue?
As we have stated before that we have found no universal fixes but there are some verified fixes that you can try out to overcome this error. We have tried and tested the fixes as well so that these solutions can work for all the gamers out there.
Fix 1: Make an Exception for the Game Using Firewall
This fix can relieve you immediately. Maybe, the third-party antivirus or Windows Defender Firewall is restricting the game to use internet connection properly.
Here we are going to discuss the process of how we can loosen the restrictions on the game.
- Go to the search option on your PC. Then type Control Panel and click on the search result to open the Control Panel. You can also find the Control Panel on the Start menu.
- You have to change the View to Large icons and look for the Windows Firewall by scrolling down the items.
- Click on the Windows Firewall options. Next, choose to Allow feature from the left pane of the windows.
- This will open a list. From there, search for the problematic game. You have to check the boxes beside both Public and Private network options.
- Then opt for the OK option.
Now, restart your computer and launch the game to check if the problem has resolved or not.
Fix 2: Leave Steam Beta and Restart Steam
Steam Beta users have many advantages as they get new features and games, in advance. But the bugs of new games and its features can affect your Steam. As a consequence, you can face this error.
Though you have already opted for Steam Beta, we still recommend you to go through this fix. Make sure that you have completed the leaving task and restart the steam. Here’s how to resolve unable to initialize Steam API.
- Explore your steam PC client. Just double-click on the Steam icon from the desktop icons.
- Go to the Menu at the top of the Steam screen. Click on the Steam Option. Now, select Settings. Opt for Change button under the Account tab of the Beta Participation section.
- Explore the drop-down menu in the Beta Participation windows. Select the option of “NOTE-Opt out of all Beta programs”. Apply it.
- Again, go to the Steam Option and select Exit to close Steam. Don’t go for the direct close button of the Steam.
- And now kill all the tasks related to Steam. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc all together to launch the Task Manager.
- Go to More Details option at the end of the windows and click on it. Look for all the Steam-related tasks. Click on them and opt for the End Task option.
- Confirm every prompt message to confirm the task-killing process.
Reopen the client and open the game by using the Library tab. Further, check if the error still persists.
Fix 3: Run Steam As Administrator
If you are still able to locate the error, then you have to close every Beta program after opting out from them. Then we suggest you go for the following process.
Here we are going to run Steam.exe with Administrator’s privilege.
- You have to find out the Steam.exe file on your system. This is the executable file of the Steam system. Right-click on Steam.exe and choose Properties.
- Go to the tab of Compatibility and check the box of the option “Run this program as an administrator”. Then apply the changes by clicking on Apply.
- Confirm any prompt messages to confirm the settings.
Now, open Steam by double-clicking on the Steam icon. Check if the problem resolves or still persists.
Fix 4: Deactivate Antivirus
If you have any third-party antivirus, then this fix is for you. Maybe, the antivirus is blocking you from playing the game. So it is advised to simply disable the particular option. Let’s check out the process for deactivating the antivirus.
- Open the user interface of the antivirus.
- Click on the Settings button.
- Disable the antivirus.
Now, launch the game and observe whether you can notice the same error message. But we don’t recommend to disable antivirus for a long time. Enable the antivirus if the problem resolves.
Fix 5: Reinstall the Steam
This method comes as the last method in our list. Reinstalling Steam is the least popular method and hence we have considered it for the last try.
So, you need to apply this fix when each and every fix fails to resolve unable to initialize Steam API error. There are two steps to perform the full reinstallation process. So, don’t skip any steps. Skipping may affect the efficiency of the Steam application.
Step 1: Backing Up the Contents of Steam
In this step, we will back up the files and folders of Steam in order to prepare for reinstalling the Steam. Follow each and every step without skipping.
- Double-click on the Steam icon to open it.
- Click on the Steam button at the top-right of the screen. Go to the Settings. Then navigate the following option: Download tab>Steam Library Folders.
- Here you can see every folder related to Steam. The default folder is C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\SteamApps.
- Discover this folder on your system by opening File Explorer.
- Right-click on the folder and select the Copy option. Go to any other location of your system and paste the folder. You may paste the folder on the desktop.
- You have to repeat the same process for each library folder.
We are done with the backups. Now, let’s proceed to uninstall and reinstall the steam.
Step 2: Uninstalling and Reinstalling
Next, log in to your Steam as administrator. Here we will uninstall Steam and that’s why the admin privilege is necessary. Let’s begin with how to uninstall Steam.
- Click on Start and expand the Control Panel.
- Switch the View as Category. Go to Uninstall a Program option under the Program section and click on it.
- You can also locate the installed apps via the Settings app. Find out the Steam app.
- Click on the app and opt for the Uninstall option. Confirm any further prompts.
Restart your system, afterward. Download and reinstall the Steam application from their official site. Then launch the games to check if the error resolves.
Hopefully, the fixes have worked for you. If you are facing any difficulties, then let us know through the comment section. You can also come up with an idea that can help to get rid of unable to initialize Steam API error.