Microsoft Outlook Not Responding [Solved]
When you try to open your Outlook account, you may encounter certain issues. The “Microsoft Outlook not responding” error message is quite a common issue on this Office application. Thus, it can prevent you from using Outlook if the issue is not resolved.
This error message mainly occurs if the MS Outlook has not been updated properly. This is a problem that most Outlook users have faced specifically in version 2010. However, it can be solved easily with the help of the below-discussed solutions.
Reasons why Microsoft Outlook not Responding
There can be a certain number of reasons for the occurrence of this Outlook error message. Some of the common reasons that cause this problem are as follows:
- Malware infection or viruses
- Corupted PST files
- Hardware problem
- Corrupted Outlook installation
- Windows Firewall or third-party security software
- Add-ins are enabled
- Corrupted Outlook profile
After knowing the underlying causes due to which Microsoft Outlook is not responding, let’s proceed with the fixes.
How to Fix if Microsoft Outlook not Responding Properly?
Before beginning the solutions, at first, you need to restart your computer. Sometimes, restarting the computer can fix several problems and make your Outlook respond again.
If the Outlook issue still occurs, then you need to follow the solutions given below. So, if Microsoft Outlook 2010 not responding on your device, try the methods we are discussing here.
Solution 1 – End Outlook Processes Using Task Manager
When you face this problem, you need to end the Outlook application and all related processes from the Task Manager. To try this, follow these steps discussed under:
- Press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc buttons together to launch the Task Manager window.
- In the Task Manager window, select Outlook and then click on the ‘End Task’ option.
- Next, go to the ‘Processes’ tab, look for ‘outlook.exe’ and click on the ‘End Task’ button to stop the process.
After doing this, restart your computer and try to open your Outlook account.
Solution 2 – Open Outlook in Safe Mode
Sometimes, opening the program in safe mode can resolve the not responding error on Microsoft Outlook. You can do this by following these directions:
- Press the Windows button and R key at the same time to launch the Run box.
- Type “Outlook /safe” and then click on the OK option or press the Enter button.
- Now your Outlook account will launch into safe mode.
In case, Outlook is not responding after launching it in safe mode, try the remaining fixes.
Solution 3 – Disable Add-Ins
Often, third-party add-ins can also be responsible for this problem. Therefore, you will have to disable the Add-ins from the Outlook. The following steps will help you:
- Launch Outlook. Click on the “File” button from the top menu bar and select the “Options” tab.
- When you are in the Options window, click on the “Add-ins” tab on the left panel.
- Choose the Add-ins from the Manage list and click on the “Go” button.
- Unmark the add-ins that you want to delete or disable.
Once you are done, restart Outlook and check if the error still persists or not.
Solution 4 – Turn Off Windows Firewall
Sometimes, the Windows Defender or Windows Firewall can be the reason why Outlook 2010 not responding. Therefore, you need to disable it at the earliest. Go through these steps to apply this solution:
- Click on the Start icon and select the Control Panel.
- On the Control Panel window, navigate to the Windows Firewall.
- Click on the “Turn Windows Defender Firewall On and Off” option on the left panel.
- Mark on the box next to the “Turn Off Windows Defender Firewall” option. Do this for both Private Network Settings and Public Network Settings.
After doing this, click on the “Save Changes” option to apply these recent modifications.
Solution 5 – Uninstall Security Software
Any security software conflicting with Outlook can also result in this problem. So, you can remove such problematic antivirus from the system to make Outlook responding. Here’s how to do that:
- Open the Settings window. Double-click on the “Apps & Features” section.
- Go to the “Apps” tab and search for third-party security software.
- Then select it and right-click. After that, click on the “Uninstall” option to remove it.
Once the removal process is done, reboot your PC and check if Outlook works properly without any error.
Solution 6 – Repair PST File
Whenever the PST files are corrupted or missing, you can see this error on the system. So, you need to repair this file. To know more about it, follow these steps given below:
- Press the Win + E together to open the File Explorer window.
- From that window, navigate to the following path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office10
- Locate the “SCANPST.EXE” file, right-click on it and choose the “Run as administrator” option.
- When the scanning application opens, click on the Browse button and locate the .pst file that you are using.
- Click on the Start option to begin the scanning process. If any problem is there, then click on the Repair button.
Once the process is complete, reboot your computer and open Outlook to check if the error persists.
Solution 7 – Update Microsoft Outlook
An outdated Microsoft Outlook can be the cause for making Outlook 2016 not responding. Therefore, you should be able to fix this problem by updating Microsoft Outlook. Here are some steps that we have shared:
- Launch the Microsoft Outlook application. Select the File button at the top left portion.
- From the File window, select the “Office Account” tab on the left panel.
- On the right window, click on the Update option and then choose “Update Now” from the drop-down list.
Once the update process is done, restart Outlook.
Solution 8 – Repair Microsoft Outlook
Due to the corrupted or damaged Microsoft Outlook, it can cause this error on your device. So, you can repair this application as soon as possible. Now, let’s take a look at the steps below:
- Launch the Control Panel window. Go to the “Programs & Features” window and look for Microsoft Outlook, then select it.
- After that, click on the “Change” option.
- Click on the “Quick Repair” option to begin the repairing process.
After completing the repair process, restart your Windows-based computer and check if the issue is resolved.
Solution 9 – Update Operating System
If Outlook is not responding due to an outdated version of the Operating System, try this fix. Therefore, in order to solve this issue, you must update the system. You can do so by going through the directions below:
- Press the Win + I buttons to launch the Settings window.
- Double-click on the “Update & Security” section and select the “Update” tab.
- Click on the “Check for updates” option to check whether any updates are available or not.
- If yes, you will get the “Update” option, so click on it.
After finishing the update process, the device will automatically restart.
Solution 10 – Create a New Outlook Account
After performing all the solutions, if Microsoft Outlook not responding, you can create a new account. Below are the steps that you can try:
- Open the Control Panel window and select the Mail section.
- Click on the “Show Profiles” option.
- Select your account and click on the “Remove” option.
- After removing the account, click on the “Add” button to create a new account.
- Put the name of the new profile and click on the OK option.
Thereafter, add your email account to the new Outlook profile and check if it’s responding.