Laptops come with an in-built webcam, to assist you in running the telecommunication applications like Skype or to record videos. Prolonged use often becomes a challenging task to maintain workability.
Thus, if you note that the webcam fails to run smoothly then you need to seek methods to resolve it. If the integrated webcam of your Acer laptop is not working after installing the latest version of Windows, then it is likely to be caused by driver conflicts or faulty drivers.
If you are also stuck with the same problem, then you can have a look at the post discussed below. This guide will help you to understand this issue and provide you with some foolproof solutions.
Why the Webcam is Not Opening?
Sometimes, the webcam may disable with the combination of function keys or by pressing a single function key (F1 – F12). If you are using any manufacturer’s webcam apps, then it also has the ability to disable the webcam by itself.
If the system is running in Privacy mode, then it may stop any application to access the webcam. The webcam also may lose the connection after a mechanical repairing.
Depending on these causes, we are going to explain the effective troubleshooting hacks for this issue.
[Step-by-Step] How to Solve Acer laptop Webcam Not Working?
There are several ways to fix this issue. You can follow the instructions provided below.
Before that, you should go to the Device Manager and check if there is a yellow light blinking near to the webcam device. The webcam may be listed under the ‘Other devices’ or ‘Imaging devices’ entry. Probably the name of the device will be “Unknown Device”.
If you see a blinking light, then you can solve this issue by updating the driver or by reinstalling the driver of the webcam. Otherwise, just disable the webcam and enable it again.
Procedure 1: Update the Driver
Visit the official website of Acer and then download the latest driver for the integrated webcam of the laptop. Before going to download it, you need to make sure that you know the model of the computer and the Operating System you are using.
For some of the models of laptops, the manufacturer may not provide the latest driver. At this juncture, you should download the driver for Windows 8 or Windows 7, which is also compatible with Windows 10 Operating System.
The downloaded driver will be saved in ‘.exe’ file or ‘.zip’ file. If you get the ‘.zip’ file, then you can extract the file to convert it to ‘.exe’ file. You can install it by clicking twice on the file and then follow the on-screen guidance.
After installing the latest driver, if you see that the problem is still unresolved, then you should follow the steps provided below:
- Go to the location where you have saved the webcam software. Then, search for the ‘.exe’ file.
- Afterward, right-click on the executable file and choose the Properties option.
- Now, navigate to the Compatibility tab. Click on the drop-down button of the ‘Compatibility mode’ and choose the ‘Windows 7’ OS from the list.
- Tap the Apply button and then the OK button to save the changes.
- Now, you should install the driver again.
Finally, you should try to open the webcam to check if it works. Else, you need to reinstall the driver to troubleshoot this issue.
Procedure 2: Reinstall the Driver
Another easy solution you should try to get rid of this issue is to reinstall the webcam driver.
How to Reinstall the Driver?
- First of all, navigate to the Start menu.
- Then, type “device manager” in the search bar and hit Enter to open the Device Manager.
- Now, search for the ‘Imaging devices’ and click on its drop-down button.
- Next. right-click on the ‘Integrated Camera’ option. Choose the Uninstall option from the list.
- Click on the OK button from the ‘Confirm Device Uninstall’ window.
- Afterward, you need to restart the system. Once the system startup, it will reinstall the driver automatically.
After reinstalling the driver, you should check if the issue gets resolved. Otherwise, perform the next procedure stated below.
Procedure 3: Disable and Enable the Device
If you are unable to locate the yellow mark on the webcam device, then you should solve this issue by disabling and enabling the device.
Here are the steps you should follow to do this:
- First, go to the ‘Imaging devices’ by following the same steps stated in the previous method.
- Now, click on the drop-down button of the ‘Imaging devices’ option and right-click on the ‘Integrated Camera’ option.
- Now, choose the ‘Disable’ option from the list. Right-click on the ‘Integrated Camera’ option and click on the ‘Enable’ option.
If the issue still occurs, then you need to reset the system.
Note: You have to be careful and select the ‘Keep my files’ option while performing the resetting process so that the personal files get stored properly.
How to Reset a Laptop?
- Right at the beginning, go to the Start menu and tap on the Power button.
- Now, click on the Restart button by holding the Shift key from the keyboard. Don’t release the Shift key until you get the ‘Choose an option’ option.
- Click on the Troubleshoot button and choose the ‘Reset this PC’ option.
- Next, tap on the ‘Keep my files’ option from the next page.
Now, check if the webcam starts to work normally. Else, you can run the Hardware Troubleshooter to get this issue fixed.
Procedure 4: Run Hardware Troubleshooting Tool
If you are facing this issue with the recently installed hardware or device on the laptop, then you should run the Hardware Troubleshooter to solve this issue.
“Hardware and Device Troubleshooter” is an in-built troubleshooting tool of Windows Operating System. It can help you to check the common issues and can ensure that the device is installed properly on the system.
Here’s how to run the “Hardware and Device Troubleshooter”:
- First, open the Control Panel by going to the Start menu.
- Then, navigate and tap on the ‘View by’ option.
- Open the drop-down arrow and choose the ‘Large icons’ from the list.
- Click on the Troubleshooting button.
- Afterward, go to the left pane and tap on the ‘View all’ option.
- Now, tap on the ‘Hardware and Devices’ option.
- Lastly, tap on the Next button to complete this process.
Now, the “Hardware and Device Troubleshooter” will start to detect the common problems of the system. Wait for a few seconds until the process completes. Afterward, you should try to open the webcam to check if the issue is resolved.
Procedure 5: Check the Privacy Settings of Webcam
Is the privacy settings of your laptop camera turned off? Then it may prevent the webcam to work normally. Check this by following the steps given below:
- Go to the Start menu and tap on the Settings (gear-shaped).
- Afterward, type “webcam” in the search field and hit the Enter key from the keyboard.
- Tap on the ‘Webcam privacy settings’ option.
- Now, you have to check if the ‘let apps use my camera’ option is turned On.
Now, check if the problem gets fixed.
We hope you find the above guide helpful. If you face any problems while executing the above steps, or if you have any suggestions then you can leave a comment.