Skype is one of the most famous applications that allows you to make video calls without any trouble. As Microsoft has taken over the Skype application, it comes preinstalled with Windows Operating System. At the same time, many issues with the Skype application occurs.
It can be horrifying when you log in to your Skype account and find Skype can’t connect error. This issue can occur due to a number of reasons.
So, we will discuss them all. Additionally, we will explain the methods to fix this Skype issue. Hence, proceed to the next part of the article.
Common Reasons for Skype can’t Connect Error
There are a few factors that can be held responsible. Like entering an incorrect username and password can lead to this error.
If your Internet connection is slow or it is not working or Skype server is not working, then the error can show up. Rarely, if your Skype account is temporarily suspended or restricted, then you can face this issue.
Any restriction from the Windows Firewall also aids to the error. Also, if the Skype Registry files are corrupt, then the issue can occur.
Fix the Skype Connection Issue: Troubleshooting Hacks
Now you can help yourself with these methods in order to fix the Skype error. Here, we have provided the tested and proven ones.
Hence, carry them out.
Method 1: Check the Skype Heartbeat or the Status
If the Skype servers are down, then you get the issue. Hence, check the Skype service status.
- At first, open the Skype application on your system and then click on the Help tab. You will find it on the top menu bar.
- After that, click on the Heartbeat (Skype Status) option.
- Now, you will see Skype’s system status on a new web page. In case something is wrong, then you will get the error message here.
- Now, wait for the Skype technicians to get the Server back on track. Otherwise, proceed to the method discussed below.
Method 2: Refresh the Network Settings
If you see that the Skype servers are working fine but still the app is not working, then avail this method. Refresh or reset the Network Settings of your system.
- Press the Windows key and the X key at the same time.
- Now, click on the Command Prompt (Admin) option from the list.
- If it asks to give administrator permission, click on the Yes button.
- As the Command Prompt window opens, you have to type the following commands and press Enter after each.
- 1st Command: ipconfig /release
- 2nd Command: ipconfig /renew
- 3rd Command: netsh winsock reset
- 4th Command: netsh int ip reset
- 5th Command: ipconfig /flushdns
- 6th Command: ipconfig /registerdns
- 7th Command: netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
- 8th Command: netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
- 9th Command: netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled
- 10th Command: netsh int tcp show global
- Once the command executes, close the window and then reboot your system.
- As the system restarts, run the Skype application in order to check if the issue occurs or not.
Method 3: Allow Skype to Get Through the Windows Firewall
The Windows Firewall might somehow block Skype. Hence, you have let the services pass from the Firewall barriers.
- First of all, completely close Skype using the Task Manager.
- Once done, open the Windows Firewall from the Start menu.
- After that, find the list of applications that are installed on your system. Search for the Skype application entry.
- On finding the entry, click on it. Then, click on the Allow Skype to connect to the Internet option in the new window.
- After that, save the changes and then restart the Skype application.
- As the Skype application restarts, check if you can connect with your Skype account.
Method 4: Correctly Configure the Skype Connection Settings
If you are using a proxy server, then configuring the Skype connection settings can make the problem vanish. So, now, let us try out the steps to change the connection settings:
- Open the Skype application on your PC.
- As the Skype application opens, proceed to the Tools section. After that, click on the Options tab.
- Then, choose the Advanced option and click on the Connection option.
- Here, you need to specify the exact proxy option and then enter its Host and Port details.
- Next, enter your proxy username and password to continue.
- Next, uncheck the box beside the Enable Proxy Authentication option.
- Finally, save all the changes and then close the Skype application completely through the Task Manager.
- After that, relaunch the Skype application and then check if Skype connects to the internet or not.
Method 5: Enable Transport Layer Security (TLS)
Transport layer security is an important part of the network configuration. It provides communications security over a computer network.
In numerous cases, enabling the TSL on your system can help to fix the problem. Perform this in action by using an administrator account to avoid any other problems.
- Initially, open the Run box using the Windows logo key and the R key.
- Inside the Run box, type appwiz.cpl and then click on the OK button.
- As the Internet Properties window appears, click on the Advanced tab from the top menu bar.
- Now, scroll down to find the options with TLS and SSL. On finding it, check the box in order to enable it.
- Finally, click on the Apply button and then on the OK button to save the changes.
- After that, restart your system and then relaunch the Skype application so that the issue occurrence can be checked.
Method 6: Upgrade Skype
Updating Skype can help you to resolve the connection issue easily. Here go the steps:
- Open the Skype application on your system and then navigate to the Help section.
- Click on the Check for Updates option from the list.
- After that, click on the Update Classic Skype button or try the new Skype button as per your needs.
- Now, Skype will automatically update the application to its latest version.
- Alternatively, you can go to the official website of Skype to download and install the latest version.
- Once done, check if Skype connects to the internet or not.
Therefore, these are the fundamental methods that you can try out in order to fix Skype can’t connect error. And, after performing the methods, you will get the issue resolved for sure.
However, in case the issue persists, then there are experts to help you out.