Learn About The Cause And Effective Fixes For Reboot And Select Proper Boot Device Issue
Reboot and select proper boot device error is considered to be a major system or hardware issue. If you don’t have any clue, you can easily take that to the repair shop in order to get it fixed. But before moving ahead, you should look for the best solutions which we will enumerate in this article. You can fix this issue on your own if you follow these solutions seriously.
Firstly, before you go ahead with subsequent actions, you need to ensure that there is no USB device attached to it, no DVD inserted, as well as no floppy in the floppy drive. This is owing to the fact that these devices can be the major point of concern for this error. Therefore, go through the informative post and try the following solutions.
Symptoms and Descriptions Pertaining to Reboot and Select Proper Device
The error messages, warnings, alerts, as well as symptoms below, are connected to this error. Let’s have a quick look.
Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device Error Screen Setup
The major cause of this error is illustrated below:
- Boot Order is not correct. HDD is under the computer’s boot order.
- Legacy Mode is triggered on UEFI computers. Suppose you are using Windows 8, and after installation UEFI Legacy mode gets activated, then you might encounter this annoying Reboot and select proper boot device error.
- Failure of Hard Disk.
- Partition is not set in active mode.
Cause of the Error
You will encounter this error because of the following issues:
Cause 1: Boot Order not Correct
The most frequent cause of this error is incorrect boot order in BIOS. When the computer is trying to boot from an incorrect or unidentified source, this error screen takes place.
Cause 2: Partition not Set as Active
Another obvious cause is the partition that is set as an inactive mode. It might occur because of disk write errors, virus interference, or power breakout.
Repair of Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device on Windows
Go through the under-mentioned steps to eradicate this above error.
Solution 1: Examine Boot Order
The most reliable fix for the Reboot and select proper boot device error is to ensure that the boot order of the hard disk correctly enlists your hard disk to be the first option. In order to examine the order of the boot, you need to follow the below steps patiently.
- First, you need to reboot your PC.
- After that, you need to click the required key in order to open the BIOS menu. However, this key entirely depends on the model of the computer as well as the manufacturer. You will find this on the first screen that comes on your monitor. It can be Esc, De1, F2, F8, F10 or F12. If your screen comes up with several keys, you need to find the specific one in order to open “BIOS”,” Setup” or “BIOS menu”. You will find the order of the boot has changed.
- Furthermore, you need to move the Boot tab.
- You need to modify the order of the boot and enlist the HDD of the computer’s first.
- Next, you need to save the unsaved settings.
- Finally, you have to restart the PC.
Solution 2: Examine if the Hard Disk Failed or not
In order to examine if the hard disk failed or not, you need to follow the below steps. You need to go through the automatic repair process in order to evade reboot and repair Reboot and select proper boot device Windows 10 issue. Automatic Repair Process will tell you about problems detected on your hard disk or RAM memory.
- First, you need to download the required tool.
- Moreover, you need to burn the ISO image. You need to go through the guidelines on how you can burn a bootable ISO image.
- Furthermore, you need to boot this into the tool.
- After that, you need to choose Automatic Repair.
- Eventually, you need to press Continue and then you have to wait till the Automatic Repair process gets over. This process will tell you about the issues found in your RAM or hard disk.
Solution 3: Disable Legacy Boot (UEFI)
In those computers having UEFI instead of BIOS, you might have seen the legacy mode option is active. This is one of the prominent cause of Reboot and select proper boot device issue to appear. Therefore, if this is the cause of concern, you need to disable the legacy mode and then reboot your computer.
- First, you need to restart your PC.
- Thereafter, you need to open the UEFI menu by clicking the required keys. It is basically dependent on the computer. The keys can be F2, F8, F12 or De1.
- Moreover, you need to shift into the Legacy option. Based on the model of the computer, it can be enlisted at the Security tab.
- You need to save the settings.
- Then, you need to exit from UEFI menu.
- Finally, you need to reboot your PC.
Solution 4: Use Diskpart
If the primary partition is no longer set on the active mode, then you need to Reboot and select proper boot device error pops up. If setting the partition as active can fix this issue, you need to diskpart in order to execute required commands:
- Firstly, you need to plug in a Windows installation disc. After that, you need to reboot from the media.
- You need to press Command Prompt present at System Recovery Options or Troubleshoot (Windows 8 and 8.1).
- Apart from this issue, you need to enter diskpart.
- After that, you need to hit Enter.
- Next, you need to enter select disk 0, where 0 is the disk number where you have installed the Windows. In order to obtain the entire list of disks present on your P.C, you need to type “list disk”.
- Next, you need to write “list partition”.
- After that, you need to hit Enter.
- Then, you need to enter “select partition 1”. 1 is termed as the primary partition.
- After that, you need to write “active” and finally press Enter.
Hopefully, this article gives you a thorough informative overview pertaining to the causes and effective fixes of Reboot and select proper boot device issue. By following the above steps you can easily combat this issue. Moreover, you can refer the user guide to have a quick glance. Also, you can provide your valuable feedback in the comment section present at the bottom of the website.