Security software have been effective in protecting users from all sorts of viruses, trojans, and spyware. However, unfortunately, issues occur within it as well. One such example is “Malwarebytes unable to connect the server.”
When it comes to Malwarebytes and its inability to connect the service, the issue is not limited to Windows. iOS and Mac users have encountered such issues as well.
In this article, we will be discussing Malwarebytes and certain ways by which you will be able to fix situations where Malwarebytes fails to start.
What is Malwarebytes?
It is an antimalware software that identifies and gets rid of malware and other rogue software. It comes in both free and paid versions.
However, it is recommended to go for its paid version because it provides a real-time file as well as web protection, regular scanning and can also detect corrupted applications on Android, Chrome, and iOS.
What are the Causes Behind “Malwarebytes Unable To Connect The Service”?
This “Malwarebytes Unable To Connect The Service” error can be caused due to several factors. We have listed three of the probable causes below.
- Antivirus issues
- Problems within the Malwarebyte services
- Expiry of the Premium version of it
Fixes to Try When Malwarebytes is Unable To Start
In this part of the article, we have mentioned some easy fixes by which you can get rid of this error effectively. Make sure to follow the guide thoroughly.
Check if Something is Wrong with the Services of Malwarebytes
Malwarebytes is operated by the services that are installed by it on the system. This “Malwarebytes Unable To Connect The Service” message signifies that the software is having communication problems with a particular service.
Thus, if you notice that there are certain issues associated with its services or it has been turned off for some reason, follow the steps mentioned below to turn them on.
- First of all, go to Start and click on the search bar.
- Type “services.msc” and open the first result that appears on your screen. Make sure to open it as an administrator.
- Now, click on the name column and look for Malwarebytes services. Right-click on it and then go to Properties.
- After that, look for Startup type and change it to Automatic if you notice that any other setting has been enabled.
- However, if the service is not running, start it by clicking on Start. This must change the status to “Running”.
Many users claim that they have faced an error message stating “Windows could not start the Security Center service on Local Computer. Error 1079: The account specified for this service differs from the account specified for other services running in the same process” while clicking on Start.
Follow the steps mentioned below if you are encountering this error message as well.
- To open Malwarebytes Properties, go to the “log on” tab and then select the Browser… Button.
- Within the “Enter the object name to select” window, type the computer name> Check names. Now wait for some time so that the name can get verified
- Click on completion and type the Administrator password in the password box. Now, click on Ok again and close the window.
- Go back to Malwarebytes Properties and click on Start.
If the problem was related to some corruption in Malware Services then this solution must fix it easily. It is recommended to reboot your system following this.
If the problem still persists, follow the next solution
Reinstall Malwarebytes from the Start
Many users say that installing Malwarebytes again has fixed the issue for them forever and thus it is highly recommended to do so. However, if you own the premium version of it, you need to find a way to get your Activation ID as well as the key. If you want to get the information about it easily, check the page from which you downloaded the tool.
After getting your ID and Key, follow the removal process further. Follow the steps mentioned below if you want to continue with the premium version of it after an uninstallation.
- First of all, open MBAM and then go to My Account. Now, click on Deactivate.
- Go to Settings and then Advanced Settings. Now uncheck the box that says “Enable self-protection module”
- Now get rid of it by closing it and download mbam-clean.exe from the official site of Malwarebytes. This will result in an immediate download.
- Close the Open programs and disable the antivirus temporarily.
- Now make sure to run the mbam-clean.exe tool and follow the instructions that appear on the screen. Once the computer gets prompted, reboot the system.
- Go to the official site of MBAM and download their latest version. Now, install it according to the instructions given on the screen.
- After that, uncheck the box present just beside the Trial option. After successful program launch, click on the Activation button.
- Provide the ID and key that was retrieved earlier. This must automatically provide you a license activation.
- This will provide you a successful installation of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium.
Many users claim that “Malwarebytes Unable to connect the service” was most likely caused by issues within your antivirus software. However, if such is the cause, then make sure to follow the steps cited below.
- Set up an exception for MBAM on your antivirus software. Although the settings are different for different programs, it can be located without any difficulty.
- Set the Malwarebytes folder on any other exception list of antivirus and run MBAM again.
- Also, it is recommended for you to disable the antivirus and see whether this resolves the issue for you. If not, then follow the solution mentioned next.
Uninstall MBAM in Safe Mode
You can also restart your system in Safe Mode and then uninstall Malwarebytes to fix this issue. To perform this action, follow the steps cited below.
- First of all, type “msconfig” in the search bar and then go to the Boot tab.
- Make sure to check the box of Safe boot option within the boot tab and then select the radio button near the Minimal option.
- Tap on Ok to reboot your system. This must restart of your computer in Safe mode.
- Now select the gear icon of the Start menu. This will open the Setting options for you. Now go to Apps.
- Search for MBAM on the installed application list and then click on Uninstall.
- After this, open msconfig first and then disable the Safe boot option.
Lastly, reinstall MBAM by visiting their site and availing its latest version.
Launch mbam.exe file
If you notice that the shortcut icon got damaged due to any reason, then make sure to try to launch the tool through its executable file.
- First of all, go to the local disk and then to the Program Files.
- After that, go to Malwarebytes and then Anti malware folder. Now, launch mbam.exe file
Rename mbam.exe file
If you see that the program is not starting, then there are chances that it will not launch and this may be related to certain malicious files. Thus, make sure to change the name “mbam” to any other abbreviation.
Deactivate Premium Version of Malwarebytes
Several users have said that they have suffered from this error after the expiry of the Premium trial. Thus, this step is only beneficial if the error seldom occurs and you are able to launch the app. For that, Go the settings and then enter the Account tab. Now, select Deactivate trial.
In the segment above, we have provided some simple and straightforward ways by which you can fix “Malwarebytes Unable To Connect The Service” error in an adequate manner. Hopefully, this will help you get relief from this error without any inconvenience. Please let us know in the comments whether these solutions were helpful for you or not.