[Resolved] HP Laptop Touchpad Not Working On Windows 10
Is your HP laptop touchpad not working while working on Windows 10? If the answer is yes, you are not the only one who is facing this issue. Often, the touchpad of your HP laptop may not respond or stop working due to an internal problem.
There are multiple reasons why this issue occurs. Some of the common causes include outdated or corrupted touchpad driver, outdated trackpad of HP laptop, a conflict between software and the mousepad, and so on.
Read this article fully to resolve this problem with some effective workarounds.
Ways to Fix HP Laptop Touchpad Not Working on Windows 10
In this section of the article, there will be various solutions that will help when HP laptop touchpad not working on Windows.
1: Do a Clean Boot
If there is a clash between the laptop touchpad and any particular software, then you might face this issue. Now, the solution to resolve this issue is to perform a clean boot. In order to do that, follow the steps provided below.
- First, tap the ‘Cortana’ logo on the taskbar to launch the default search option for Windows 10.
- Next, type “msconfig” and from the search output, locate and choose the ‘System Configuration’ option. This action will open up a new dialog box having the name ‘System Configuration’.
- Within that dialog box, click on the ‘General’ tab. Under that tab, click on the ‘Selective Startup’ radio button. Next, uncheck the ‘Load system services’ option and keep the other two options checked.
- Now, go to the ‘Services’ tab. Scroll down the list and put a checkmark in the box beside ‘Hide all Microsoft Services’.
- Next, put checkmarks on all the remaining services and choose the ‘Disable all’ button.
- Lastly, choose the ‘Apply’ button and then ‘OK’ button respectively.
In most cases, clean booting Windows 10 can restore the working of HP laptop’s touchpad. But, if this method fails, move to the next solutions.
2: Install Touchpad Driver Once Again
If the touchpad of the HP laptop gets corrupted or malfunctions, it means you have encountered this problem. The best answer to resolve this problem is to remove the touchpad driver and reinstall it. Here are the steps to apply this fix.
- Press both the keys ‘Windows + R’ together to launch the Run dialog window. Type “devmgmt.msc” on the blank area beside the ‘Open’ label and hit the ‘OK’ button.
- As soon as you do that, a new ‘Device Manager’ window will come up. Here, you will get all the devices installed on the computer along with their respective drivers. From that list, locate and choose the “Mice and other pointing devices” category.
- Now, double-click on the chosen device category to reveal the drivers within the sublist. Next, choose the touchpad driver for your HP laptop and right-click on it.
- After that, choose the ‘Uninstall device’ option from the popup menu. Also, when a confirmation window comes up, choose the ‘Yes’ button.
- At this time, go to the menu bar and choose the ‘Action’ option. From the drop-down list, select the option ‘Scan for hardware changes’. This action will automatically install the touchpad driver into the machine.
At last, close the ‘Device Manager’ window and restart the computer.
3: Activate Touchpad via the Mouse Properties
If the HP laptop touchpad not working properly, you will have to activate the touchpad using the mouse properties. For that, follow the steps beneath.
- First, press the combination of ‘Windows + I’ keys to open the ‘Settings’ window.
- Then, choose the ‘Devices’ option and a new page will come up. Here, go to the left panel and then choose the ‘Mouse’ option.
- At this moment, move to the right pane and choose the ‘Additional mouse options’ link.
- Now, a new ‘Mouse Properties’ window will come up. Here, go to the ‘Device Settings’ and choose the touchpad from the list. Tap on the ‘Enable’ button after this.
Finally, choose the ‘OK’ button and then restart the computer to confirm these changes.
4: Update Touchpad Driver
If the touchpad driver of the laptop is not up to date, you can face this issue. So, the best way to fix this issue is to update the touchpad driver of Windows 10. The steps to update your mousepad driver are as follows.
- Follow the steps discussed in the second solution to reveal all the drivers within “Mice and other pointing devices”.
- Next, select the ‘HP touchpad’ driver and right-click on it. Then, from the popup menu, choose the ‘Properties’ option.
- At this time, a new ‘HP Touchpad Properties’ window will come up. In that window, select the ‘Driver’ tab and click on the ‘Update Driver’ button.
- Now, a new dialog box will appear having two distinct links. Out of them, choose the first one that says ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’. Then, Windows will look for any updates available for the touchpad driver.
- If there is any latest update, it will be automatically downloaded and installed on Windows 10.
So, when the update process is completed, reboot the laptop and check whether this issue has been resolved or not.
5: Run Hardware Troubleshooter
If none of the above processes solved the touchpad issue on the HP laptop, as a last resort you can execute the hardware troubleshooter. Here are the steps that you can follow.
- First, press the ‘Windows’ logo on the lower left-hand corner of the taskbar. This will open the ‘Start’ menu.
- Go to the left side and then just above the ‘Power’ icon, choose the ‘Gear’ icon. As soon as you click on that icon, a new ‘Settings’ window will appear.
- There, locate and choose the ‘Update & Security’ category. At this moment, a new page will show up. So, move to the left panel and select the ‘Troubleshoot’ option.
- Go to the right pane of that page and choose the ‘Hardware and Devices’ option. As a result, a new ‘Hardware and Devices’ troubleshooter window will be displayed.
- Next, follow the instructions that appear on the screen and troubleshoot the problem related to the touchpad. Once the troubleshooting process is over, close the window.
Lastly, restart the computer and see if you are encountering any trackpad problem or not.
To fix the error situation when the HP laptop touchpad not working on Windows 10, simply follow all the methods provided in the above section. Hope this will provide the best answer from our end.