A Complete Guide On How to Stop A Laptop From Overheating
Nowadays, laptops are being used for some heavy tasks as it is compact and portable. Therefore, some devices are running high-end programs on a daily basis. Thus, it can easily cause overheating problems for various users. However, it can sometimes get dangerous as it can harm the internal hardware components. Therefore, one must know how to stop laptop from overheating in such cases.
For the most part, this problem arises due to an insufficient airflow to the vents. Moreover, warmer room temperature can create this issue as well. Accordingly, faulty hardware is also one of the reasons for this problem.
Effective Methods to Stop A Laptop from Overheating
Here, we have discussed some effective methods to help you keep your laptop’s temperature in check. Thus, follow these methods one by one.
Method 1: Inspect the Motherboard
The first thing that you need to do is to inspect your laptop’s motherboard. This will help you to determine whether the vents are clean or if the fan is functional or not. Thus, go through the following instructions.
- Turn off your laptop and remove the charger from the power socket. Thereafter, remove the battery as well.
- Now, press and hold the power button for a few seconds. After a few minutes, overturn your laptop and remove its back panel.
- Next, check whether the vent is free from dust and other particles. If it is dirty, then you can clean it with a dry cloth or a cotton swab.
- After that, check whether the CPU fan is working or not.
- Finally, inspect the cooling mechanism of your device if it is equipped with one. Check for any leakages or other problems that may be causing the overheating issues on your laptop.
After a proper inspection, carry out the necessary actions that are required. If your fan is not working, simply install a new one. Alternatively, you can go to a professional if you are not comfortable enough to open up your laptop.
Method 2: Use A Laptop Desk
Another important factor to keep in mind is the environment you’re using your laptop on. Make sure that the laptop’s ventilation is not being blocked by any object and that the air is passing freely.
Additionally, you can use a laptop desk to help you provide sufficient ventilation. This will help your laptop to stay in an elevated place as well. Some laptop desks even come with an in-built cooling mechanism that can help your laptop to be cool in extreme cases as well.
Method 3: Manage Fan Speed
You can also manage your CPU fan’s speed to ensure that it is running at maximum capacity. By default, it is set to run only when needed. Thus, you can change this setting either from the Control Panel or from the BIOS menu. Thus, go through the instructions provided below.
- Press Windows + X buttons from your keyboard and click on Control Panel to open it.
- Next, head over to Hardware and Sound and open Power Options. Here, click on Change Plan Settings.
- After that, click on Change Advanced Power Settings and go to the Advanced Settings.
- Under Process Power Management, click on the plus symbol to open it.
- Now, click on System Cooling Policy and click on Active to increase the fan’s speed. Save your settings and close all the windows.
The BIOS menu differs from brand to brand. Thus, you need to explore and locate the settings to change the Fan speed on your own. You can easily find the instructions for your brand by searching it online.
Method 4: Check the Environment
Lastly, you can prevent your laptop from overheating by checking its environment. Thus, make sure that it is not in direct contact with sunlight. Similarly, you should not use your laptop in hot and humid areas as well. In such cases, you should turn on an Air conditioner to keep your laptop cool.
To conclude, you should be able to prevent your laptop from overheating if you follow the methods provided above. If you’re still facing overheating issues, then your CPU’s fan or cooling system must be damaged. Thus, you should take your laptop to the nearest service center as early as possible. The certified technicians will be able to fix it in no time.