Error code 0x8007045d is one of the most common issues often encountered by Windows 10 users. Most of them face this error while backing up computer programs and applications on the external storage unit.
This error generally triggers the blank screen issue, computer hang-ups and even Blue Screen of Death. Usually, it comes up with the error notification of “Windows can not install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available. Error Code: 0x8007045D”.
On some PCs, it can also appear as “Error 0x8007045D: the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.”
If you are dealing with the same situation, then this post can help you out. Hence, go through this article thoroughly and resolve this error 0x8007045d by following the troubleshooting tips.
Possible Causes Behind The Windows Error Code 0x8007045D
Focus on this section and identify the most prominent causes behind the Windows error code 0x8007045d.
- Bad sectors of the hard disk
- Corrupted registry entries
- Damaged memory modules
- Virus or malware presence
- A broken or damaged DVD drive
After identifying all the predictable causes, let’s move on to the next section. Here, it will cover the most reliable solutions to eradicate this Windows error from your device.
Simple Hacks To Troubleshoot Windows Error Code 0x8007045d
There can be various methods that you can try to resolve error code 0x8007045d in Windows 10. But, in this section, you will get to know the most effective ones. So, check out the below-mentioned fixes and perform them accordingly.
Fix 1: Eradicate Malware or Virus Infection
If your device has been infected by malware or virus infection, then such kind of Windows error is quite a common event. So, in such situations, you can eradicate the virus or malware from your Windows 10 device.
Steps to run the Windows Defender:
- Primarily, go to the “Settings” tab. Once the new window opens, locate and choose the “Update and Security”.
- Now, under the Update and Security section, choose the Windows Defender from the queue menu.
- Afterward, navigate to the “Windows Defender Security Center” and tap on the “Virus and threat protection” module.
- Thereafter, start the virus scan, hit the ‘Quick Scan” option from the queue window.
After performing this action, Windows Defender will scan your entire device and report the result when the process is done. While scanning, if it finds any malicious component or corrupted system files, it will repair them automatically.
Once the process is completed. Reboot your device to let the new changes take effect.
Steps to Scan the Device Using Third-party Antivirus
On the other hand, you can also download and install any trustworthy security program. After that, launch the application by double-clicking on its icon. Then, hit the ”Scan for Virus” option and select either “Full Scan” or “Quick Scan” from the queue window.
The software will begin to run and detect the virus-infected system files. Now, tap on the “Disinfect” option to kill the virus to clear out the malicious components from your device. Lastly, restart your device in normal mode and check if the error persists or not.
Fix 2: Repair the Hard Disk
Repairing the bad sectors in the hard drive section is quite essential to avoid such Windows errors. The damaged portion doesn’t allow the OS to recover the data. As a result, the Windows OS fails to load the mandatory files. But, you can easily repair it by using the built-in tool.
- Open the Command Prompt with Administrator privileges.
- Then, enter the following command into the new window: “chkdsk C: /f /x /r”.
- Do not forget to hit the Enter key to execute the command.
Running the above command detects the corrupted or damaged files that are present on the drive. It will also take care of the other parameters to resolve the Windows error.
Fix 3: Disable the Third-Party Assistance
Third-party applications are one of the most critical factors for such errors. Sometimes, Windows fails to access certain files due to the third party arrangements.
If you face error 0x8007045d due to this reason, you must disable the third-party antivirus integrated with your device.
Steps to Disable Third-party antivirus program:
Here are the steps that should be followed to disable the third-party antivirus program.
- Go to the Start menu by tapping on the Windows icon. Then, navigate to the “Settings” section. Once the window opens, choose the option of “Windows Security”.
- Now, locate the “Virus & threat protection”. Once you find it, click on it and then go for the “Manage Settings”.
- Under this window, click on the “Real-Time Protection” option and switch the feature “Off”.
- Hit the Apply button as well as the OK button to save the new changes.
After disabling the third-party antivirus, if you still find the same Windows error, remove this application from your Windows-based device temporarily.
Steps to Remove Antivirus Software
Invoke the Start menu. Then, click on the Settings to open the experience and tap on the “System” option.
After that, locate the “Apps and Features” option. Once you find it, click on it. Next, you can choose the application that belongs to the third-party source.
If there is more than one application then, you have to select them one by one. After that, hit the “Remove/Uninstall” button from the appeared menu.
Now, you can confirm this process by tapping on the OK button twice. Once the process is over, you can reboot your device. When your device restarts, verify whether the Window error gets removed or not.
If you still find the same error code 0x8007045d on Windows 10, proceed with the next method.
Fix 4: Reset or Restore Device
If none of the above methods work, then you must consider resetting all the Windows frameworks. Therefore, make a backup of all the important files and data to stash them. Thereafter, navigate to the Windows Settings and go towards the “Update and Security” section.
You have to now choose the “Reset PC” option. Stick to the on-screen instructions that are mentioned successively with each action. Boot the device to revert to the default setting. Afterward, reboot your PC to proceed for the restoration of those backup data and files.
Fix 5: Repair the Registry
This process should be your last preference. Sometimes, corrupted or damaged registry entries may lead to the Windows error. On such occasions, repair the registry entries and resolve the error in no time.
Step 1: Open the Registry Editor. After that, clear out all the previous files, which may prevent the installation process of the Windows update.
Step 2: Now, search for the “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office” and proceed with the 11.0, 12.0, 14.0, and 15.0 keys.
Step 3: Here, you will find a new window, where you need to reset the DWORD values. So, make it from 0 to 1 in the “Office Common Registry” folder. After that, perform the required actions by following the on-screen instructions.
If the issue keeps appearing after repairing registry entries, you can delete corrupted Windows Updates. Otherwise, try to rename the folder of SoftwareDistribution to fix Windows error 0x8007045d.
Frequently Asked Question
1. How do I Rename the Software Distribution Folder?
- First, locate the “Software Distribution” folder, then right-click on it. After that, choose “Rename” and rename it as “SoftwareDistribution.old.” Confirm the process by tapping on the OK button twice.
2. Is it Safe to Delete Windows Update Files?
- It is completely safe to remove the Windows Update files with the cleanup application. However, if your device functioning properly, then there is no need to remove the Windows update files.
3. How do I Delete a Corrupted Windows Update File?
- Go to the Download folder, then choose the Windows Update files you want to remove. Afterward, right-click on them respectively and click on the “Delete/Remove” option.
On The Whole
In this post, we have mentioned all the necessary information regarding how to fix Windows error code 0x8007045d. Further, we have mentioned some of the effective fixes that you can try to troubleshoot this Windows error.
While performing the methods, if you face any kind of trouble, then drop your difficulties in the feedback section below. We will revert as soon as possible to help you out.