Steam is a popular gaming platform amongst online gamers. However, a majority of them come across a particular error code 80 while launching these games.
Steam Error code 80 is a common issue for Windows 10 users. There are no particular reasons that can be marked responsible for this error. But, it can disrupt your gaming experience on Steam, if the issue remains unresolved.
These gamers have their hardware and software problems in devices that they are using for Steam games. So, each one of them may experience this error for a different reason.
If you are a diehard gamer and your Steam is continuously exhibiting this error, then this article will be of great help to you.
What Is Steam Error Code 80?
Sometimes, when you try to start a game on Steam, it might fail to launch. Instead, the screen displays a certain error code (80) on your screen. Then, it becomes impossible to play the game, as this issue consistently pops-up on the display.
This error can take place because of several reasons. It includes issues in the device driver, third-party app interference or any other issue related to the Steam file. You can also get this error due to connection problems, hardware defects, and software glitches.
How To Fix Steam Error Code 80?
If you are a gamer and you are frustrated with this error, you don’t need to worry. We will provide you with some easy solutions that will enable you to play Steam games without error code 80.
Although deleting and reinstalling Steam is a common method that gamers prefer as an error code 80 Steam fix. We would still advise you to follow these solutions for troubleshooting this specific error.
Fix 1: Check for Folder Security Permissions
Every program or application on your Windows computer requires two privileges- read and write privileges. Both these privileges are necessary for the program to run efficiently and smoothly. In case one of the privileges is not available your Steam can stop functioning.
To get rid of error 80, you need to check if all the privileges are present for Steam games. Follow these instructions to try this fix:
- Before you begin with this method, make sure that you have ended all the processes related to Steam.
- Press the Windows button and the R button together. This is going to launch the Run dialog box.
- In the box, type “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam” and hit the ‘OK’ button. From the list of program folders, right-click on the Steam folder. Now, select the ‘Properties’ option.
- Go to the ‘General’ tab. Look if the ‘Read Only’ box is checked or not. In case it is ticked, you need to uncheck it.
- Now, launch Steam by clicking on ‘Run as Administrator’. Check whether the error code 80 is still appearing or not. If the problem persists, you can follow the next solutions.
Fix 2: Change Regional Settings
Sometimes, a glitch in the timezone or time set on your Steam application can be a potential reason to trigger error 80. Rectifying this issue is quite an easy task. Follow these steps to change the time zone of your game.
Go to ‘Control Panel’ after pressing the Windows button. Choose ‘Date and Time’ from the list that appears on your screen.
Select ‘Internet Time’ from the three tabs that open up. Click on ‘Change Settings’. You will find a box that says ‘ Synchronise With Internet Time Server’.
Tick this particular box. Then, press the ‘Update Now’ option and click OK. Finally, when you observe that the time has been updated, try and restart Steam.
Fix 3: Rectify Steam Cache Files.
Error 80 can be generated with your Steam game if the cache files get corrupted. You need to check the cache files for this gaming platform and replace the corrupted ones on your system.
To do this you have to follow these instructions :
- At first, right-click on your Steam client. Select the ‘Run as Administrator’ option. This will launch the Steam with all the Administrator’s privileges.
- Go to the ‘Library’ tab. Now, right-click on the Steam game. After this, click on ‘Properties’.
- Visit the ‘Local files’ tab and then find the ‘Verify Integrity of Game Files’ option. Once you locate it, click on this option.
- Wait for some time to allow Steam to browse through the files and check them. Next, launch the Run dialog box and type ‘taskmgr’ in it. This will open the Task Manager window.
- Starting from ‘Steam Client Bootstrapper’, terminate all processes related to Steam. Finally, use ‘Run as Administrator’ to relaunch the game that was giving error code 80.
Fix 4: Delete Corrupted Steam Files
One of the reasons behind triggering Steam error code 80 is corruption in the gaming files. You can try deleting these files to resolve this particular error. Try these following steps to get rid of the corrupted files in Steam:
Before you begin, terminate all the ongoing processes related to Steam. Then, follow step 3 discussed in fix 1 to navigate to the Steam folder.
Locate a folder named ‘SteamApps’. Now you can either delete the entire folder or move it to another location.
Finally, open Steam. Make sure to choose ‘Run as Administrator’ while launching the game.
Fix 5: Disable Anti-virus
The antivirus on your system can be a potential factor for causing Steam error code 80. In that case, you can try disabling the antivirus program. The process for disabling an anti-virus is different for each case. Hence, choose the steps accordingly.
Fix 6: Update Drivers
This is another effective way to resolve this error code. You need to ensure that all drivers in your system are up-to-date. This list includes audio, video, graphics, and other drivers, which should be updated from time to time.
To update the drivers, you need to visit the official website of your hardware manufacturer. Search for the relevant updates for particular drivers and download them.
Hopefully, the solutions which we have provided in this post will help you out in resolving error code 80. We would love to get your feedback and reactions while fixing this Steam issue. To communicate with us, you can use our comments section.