Whenever you come across iMessage activation error, you can’t send and receive instant messages between iDevices. The full message that appears along with it states “An error occurred during activation. Try again”.
Some of the common reasons behind this error include incorrect time zone of the device, inactive iMessage service, outdated iOS, some restrictions in the iMessage settings, etc.
Now, whatever it might be the underlying reason, you can solve the problem by following the fixes discussed in the next section.
Ways to Fix the iMessage Activation Error
Here, you will get various methods that can help to mitigate the iMessage activation error quickly.
Turn off Restrictions for iMessage
If the settings of the iMessage services are restricted, then you can get this issue. Now, the best way to resolve this problem you will have to delete all the setting restrictions from the iMessage service. In order to that, follow the steps underneath.
- First, unlock the iPhone and then select the ‘Settings’ application.
- As soon as the new application window comes up then choose the ‘General’ section. Now, a page with the name ‘General’ will come up.
- Inside that page, locate and then choose the ‘Restrictions’ option.
- After that, from the list that appears select the ‘iMessages’ option and switch it off.
Reset Network Settings
If the network settings of the iPhone are not set properly, then you might encounter this issue. The most effective solution to resolve this problem is to reset the network settings of the device. To resolve this problem you will have to follow the steps presented below.
- First, launch the ‘Settings’ application and then, in it, tap on the ‘General’ option.
- At this moment, a new page having the name ‘General’ will come up. Inside that page, locate and choose the ‘Reset’ option.
- As soon as you select it, a new page for ‘Reset’ will appear. From there, find and choose the ‘Reset Network Settings’ link.
- Now, input the passcode of the device to confirm the resetting process. Then, press the ‘Reset Network Settings’ at the bottom of the screen.
At last, when the reset procedure is complete, check whether this error is resolved or not.
Restart iMessage Service
If the messaging service has some internal glitch, you may see on iMessage “An error occurred during activation”. The correct way to resolve this problem is to restart the iMessage service. To do that in an efficient manner you need to follow the steps below.
- First, choose the ‘Settings’ application on the iPhone. After this, a new Settings window will come up.
- Inside that window, locate and choose the option “Messages”. After that, go to the top section of the new page and then turn off the iMessage button.
- Next, restart the iPhone and then toggle the iMessage button.
This will relaunch the iMessage service on your iPhone and hopefully, resolve the activation error.
Set Right Time Zone for iPhone
If the time zone of the iPhone is not set correctly, then also you can get this problem. Now, the best way to get rid of this problem is to set the correct time zone for your iPhone. For that to happen, follow the steps below.
- First, open the ‘Settings’ application and choose the ‘General’ option.
- Scroll down the list and select the ‘Date & Time’ option.
- Once you do that, go to the option ‘Set Automatically’ and then tap the switch to the right to activate it.
At last, reboot the device and then check whether this issue comes up or not.
Activate and Deactivate Airplane Mode
When the Airplane mode feature of the iPhone has an internal issue, you might encounter the iMessage activation error. The feasible solution to resolve this problem is to first enable the Airplane mode and disable it. Follow the steps below in order to know how to do it.
- First, go to the Settings application and then select the “Message” option. After that, toggle the ‘iMessage’ option to off.
- Next, go back to the main window of the ‘Settings’ application and then activate the ‘Airplane Mode’.
- Now, activate the ‘IMessage’ option. If you get the prompt to enter the Apple ID, type it.
- After that, go to the Airplane mode and turn this feature off. If you see a popup window “Your carrier may charge for SMS”, tap on the ‘OK’ button.
Finally, start the iPhone once again and see if this issue is present or not.
Carrier Settings Update Procedure
When the carrier settings of the iPhone is not updated properly, you can get this issue. To get rid of this problem you will have to update the carrier settings of the iPhone. Follow all the steps presented underneath.
- Follow the steps discussed in previous methods and wait for the ‘General’ window to come up.
- Inside that window, find and click on the ‘About’ option. Now, if you see a popup menu with the heading ‘Carrier Settings Update’, tap the ‘Update’ button.
Hopefully, after updating the carrier settings, you won’t experience iMessage activation error.
If the iOS of the iPhone is not up to date, you can come across this issue. So, the easiest answer to resolve this problem is to update the Operating System of the iPhone. To try this solution, follow the steps beneath.
- First, tap the ‘Settings’ icon and choose the ‘General’ option from that window.
- Locate and choose the ‘Software Update’ option. Now, iOS will start looking for updates automatically.
- If there is an update available, then click on the ‘Download and Install’ button.
If you follow all these instructions correctly, iOS updates will be downloaded and installed automatically.
Hopefully, the solutions provided in the previous section helped you to fix the activation error on iMessage.