How To Fix Error Code 0xc004f074 On Windows 10 [Fixed and Sorted]
Microsoft Office users often report to face a message “The Software Licensing Service determined that the specified Key Management Service (KMS) cannot be used”.
This generally appears while you are trying to activate the volume license key of Office 2016. This is commonly known as error code 0xc004f074.
This error indicates that the Key Management Service could not be connected during the activation process. Sometimes, this error may also arise while trying to upgrade the Windows version.
Mostly, this error occurs due to data and time syncing problems. If the Office 2016 and 2013 co-hosted with the same server or if there are any DND update problem, then it can lead to this error.
Now, simply go through the instructions below to solve it manually. It is essential to fix this error immediately to prevent any potential damage to the system.
Error Code 0xc004f074 Windows 10 [Step-by-Step Guide]
There are a number of hacks to eradicate this error but here we have listed the most essential ones. Perform each and every step carefully to get rid of this error.
Method 1: Change the Key Using the Activation Wizard
Inactive copies of the Windows file and the key is one of the major reasons behind this error. You can easily solve this problem by changing the activation key.
The best way to do this is with the help of the Activation Wizard. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- First, invoke the Run Command box by pressing the R and Win key both at the same time from the keyboard.
- Afterward, type “slui4” in the Run box and tap on the OK button to navigate to the target page. (Else, you can also press the Enter key to proceed).
- Next, open the Settings app by pressing the S and Windows key simultaneously from the keyboard.
- Now, navigate to the ‘Update & Security’ category and tap on the Activation button.
- If the computer is still not activated, then you will see the ‘Activate by phone’ message on the screen.
- Click on the ‘Product Activation Wizard’. After that, open the menu and tap on the Settings button.
- Now, navigate to the ‘change PC Settings’ section and tap on the ‘Activate Windows’ button.
- On the next screen, you will get three options. They are ‘Contact customer support for help’, ‘Activate by phone’, or ‘Activate.’ Choose any one from them.
- At last, you need to follow the on-screen prompts to activate Windows.
Method 2: Run Activation and Update Troubleshooter
If you are getting the error code 0xc004f074 while installing the latest updates, running the Windows Update Troubleshooter might help you to eradicate this error.
To do this, first, bring up the Start menu and tap on the Settings (gear-shaped) icon. Afterward, navigate to the ‘Update & Security’ category. Then, click on the Troubleshooter button and choose the ‘Windows Update’ option to run the Troubleshooter.
After running this, if you see that the issue still persists, then you can also run the Activation Troubleshooter. To run this, go to the ‘Update & Security’ category by following the above steps and then tap on the ‘Activation’ button.
Lastly, click on the Troubleshooter button to initiate the process. Wait until the process completes and reboots the system. Then, check if the issue persists. Else, you should perform the next solution stated below.
Method 3: Use the ‘slmgr.vbs’ Command
If you do not update the DNS for a long time, then it may also trigger this error to appear. At this juncture, you can solve this issue by disabling and enabling the DNS host of the system.
You can easily do this by using the ‘slmgr.vbs’ command. To run this, you should follow the steps mentioned below:
- First and foremost, go to the Start menu. Then, type “command prompt” in the search bar and right-click on the search result.
- Choose the ‘Run as administrator’ option from the list. If Windows prompt any pop-up box, then tap on the Yes button to proceed.
- Now, type the command “slmgr.vps -ipk YYYY – YYYY – YYYY – YYYY – YYYY” in the command line.
[Note: Here you have to replace the ‘Y’ letter with the product key number.]
- Hit the Enter key from the keyboard to execute the command.
- Now, type “slmgr.vbs -ato” and press the Enter key from the keyboard to run this.
Now, wait for a few seconds and once the process completes, you need to exit from the Command Prompt window and restart the computer to apply the changes.
After that, you need to check if the error still continues. Otherwise, you can run the SFC checker to eliminate this error.
Method 4: Run the SFC or System File Checker
SFC is an in-build tool of Windows OS that has the ability to scan the entire system for any damaged or corrupted system file.
How to Run the System File Checker?
- In the beginning, open the Command Prompt with administrator privileges by following the first 2 steps from the previous procedure.
- Afterward, type the command “sfc/scannow” in the command line and press the Enter key to execute this command.
Now, the SFC checker will start to scan the system files and if it finds any damaged files, then it will fix that automatically. Wait for a few seconds and close the Command Prompt window.
Afterward, if you see that the error is still unresolved, then you should check the date and time settings of the system to get rid of the error code 0xc004f074.
Method 5: Check the Date and Time of the System
Sometimes, if the date and time of the system do not sync with the server, then it can also lead to the error code 0xc004f074.
According to some tech specialists, if the date and time of the system differ from the KMS host then this error may occur.
In order to fix this issue, it’s better to use the NTP or Network Time Protocol time source. Or if you prefer, you can also activate the Directory Service to sync time between the system and the server.
The above techniques are enough to eradicate the error code 0xc004f074. Hopefully, it will help you to put an end to this error.
If you face any kind of problem while implementing the above ways, then you can share your doubts through the comment section.