DISM or Deployment Imaging Servicing Management is the default tool for the Windows users which helps to resolve many of the common problems that occur on Windows OS. However, if you stuck with the error 87 in Windows 10 while using the tool, the probable causes that are responsible for the error are as follows: a) non-functionality of service; b) attempted copy of a huge file from one partition to another; c) entry of incorrect parameters into the Command Prompt window.
The error message will be shown on the Administrator: Command Prompt window as “Error_Invalid_Parameter 87 (0x87) The Parameter is incorrect.” It may differ a slight in your case. No matter, whatever be the reason, you can try the below methods one by one as arranged to resolve it at an instant.
Methods to Fix Error 87 DISM Windows 10 Effectively:
The solutions to follow for error 87 in Windows 10 are very simple, and you can learn them from the below sections. So, let’s start. It is advised to try the methods in a serial way as listed below. If you are lucky, then after trying the above two methods you will get the error resolved.
Method 1: Use the Correct DISM Command
At times, the probable factors responsible for the error 87 Windows 10 is the incorrect entry of the command on the Administrator Command Prompt window. So, the first task you need to perform is double check the command you have entered. Keeping the space between the command is mandatory.
If you wrongly escape space between the command, then this will lead you to this error. The appropriate steps to follow to run a DISM scan are as below:
- Firstly, activate the search bar. For that, you need to press down the Windows button.
- Then, on the search bar type cmd.
- After that, from the search result right-click on the cmd/ Command Prompt option.
- Next, from the menu window select “Run as administrator”. This will open up the Administrator: Command Prompt window on the screen.
- Now, on the black background Administrator: Command Prompt type the command as given below. Remember that, you need to keep the scapes appropriately as given here. Any misplacing of space or any other character on the command will rate you the error 87 on the Command Prompt screen.
- DISM /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth
- And lastly, tap the Enter key to execute the command. If the process is done successfully, then it means that the problem is resolved. However, if still, the error 87 exists then continue the further method.
If you are not OK to follow the above steps, then you can try the below steps to do the same task for solving the error 87 Windows 10.
Open up the Run bar window. Press the Windows key along with the letter R for that, ie. Win+R.
Next, ensure that no command is already present on the Run bar. In case, if any command is present then you need to remove that with the help of pressing the Backspace button from keyboard.
After that, on the Run bar type “cmd”, without the quotations. (Do not press the Enter button)
Next, tap both the listed key at a time, do not press down the Enter button at first.
Tapping down both the Ctrl+Shift+Enter keys will get you the Administrator: Command Prompt window on the screen.
Now, on the Administrator: Command Prompt type the exact command as given below:
- DISM /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth
Check on the Administrator: Command Prompt, that you have written the command correctly. Because, if you have done any mistake then this will lead you the error 87 on the window when you will execute it. The best way, to avoid such a problem is using the copy and paste technique. Copy (Ctrl+C) the said command from here, and Paste (Ctrl+V) it over the Administrator Command Prompt.
Lastly, tap the Enter button to execute.
Method 2: Install Every Pending Windows Update
Sometimes keeping pending updates on Windows is responsible in the error 87. If this is the case, then to solve the problem you need to spend a couple of minutes to install the pending updates. According to a few of the users after installing the pending updates the problem gets solved. The steps to perform this task for solving the error 87 Windows 10 are as follows:
- At first, tap the Windows button, to activate the search bar.
- After that, on the search bar type run, and then press down the Enter button from the keyboard. This will get you the Run bar window open the screen.
- Next, on the Run bar enter the command as below:
- Further, click on the OK button from the Run bar window. This will open the Settings window.
- Now, at the right-hand side panel of the Settings window, you will get the “Check for updates” button under the Windows Update section, click on it.
- Then, wait, until the process gives you a result.
- Further, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the pending updates.
- And lastly, restart your PC. Then, repeat any of the above processes of Method 1 to check if the issue gets resolved or not.
Sometimes the users need to restore their PC to the previous version to fix the problem. Basically, this method helps by reverting all the previous settings on Windows. To learn this process follow the further method.
Method 3: Run System Restore
If the problem starts after changing some settings on Windows, then restoring back to the previous settings will get you the error code 87 fixed. And the steps you need to forward with to run system restore are as follows:
- At first, navigate the mouse pointer onto the Windows logo, and then right-click on it.
- After that, from the menu window select the Settings option.
- Next, under the Settings window, click on the Update & Security option.
- Further, from the left-hand side panel select Recovery. After clicking on the Recovery option, at the right-hand side panel, you will get the Reset this PC option enlisted.
- Click on the Get Started button, that is present under the Reset this PC section.
- Now, on the Choose an option window, you will get two different options, and are as follows:
- Keep my files
- Remove everything
- Here, we are proceeding with Remove everything which is the best option. This will again open two options for “Do you want to clean the drivers, too?”, and are as follows:
- Just remove my files
- Remove files and clean the drive
- From the two options, it is better to select “Just remove my files”. This will get you the Warning! window on the screen. From the Warning! window read the message and then click on Next to continue.
- Further, click on Reset. This will takes several minutes to complete the reset process. Once, the process gets completed you will again get the Choose an option window open, click on Complete to end the task.
- Next, you need to restart your PC, once you have successfully restored the computer, to get the full positive effect of this method.
- Now, again, follow any of the processes of method 1 to ensure that the error 87 Windows 10 get resolved.
Additional Method: Use Windows App Troubleshooter
The troubleshooter application is the last option you can try out if you did not get success in solving error 87 by applying all the above methods. The steps you need to perform to do this task are as below:
- Firstly, open up the Run bar window by tapping both the Windows and the letter R key at a time, ie. Win+R.
- Next, on the Run bar type control, and then tap the Enter button, to get the Control Panel window open.
- After that, set the “View by” option on the Control Panel into Large icons.
- Further, from the Control Panel window, click on the Troubleshooting button.
- Next, click on the “View all” option from the left-hand side panel of the Troubleshooting window.
- Then, from the next window, locate the Windows Update option, and click on it. After clicking on Windows Update, from the next window click on the Next button. And further, follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter app. Hopefully, this method will help you to fix the error 87 in Windows 10.
All these are the workarounds by which you can fix the error 87 Windows 10 efficiently. If you get any problem while executing any of the methods, then you can consult that with the experts by commenting in the below field.