Distributedcom error with an Event ID 10016 is one of the most prominent errors that Windows users encounter in the System log. It is quite a common occurrence in computers. Corrupt system files are major source of event id errors.
Also when you are trying to start the DCOM server using a program, but you do not have proper permissions to do so, then this error might pop up on your screen. Thus, it prevents the system to run flawlessly creating an annoying situation.
This error code comes with an error message in Event Viewer –
“The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application”.
If you are one of them who are encountering the same error code on your PC then, do not worry about it. Here, you will get four possible solutions implementing which will help you eliminate this particular error from the device.
Four Effective Solutions to Fix Distributedcom Error 10016:
These are the four easy and effective solutions to fix the distributedcom error 10016 on the Windows 10 system. Just have a look at the solutions that are stated below.
Solution 1 – Check of the Process
This is one of the most reliable solutions that we have shared to fix this error code on your Windows 10 system is checking the process. Here are the steps that you can follow:
- Press the Windows Home button and R key together to launch the Run window.
- Type regedit and then hit the Enter button or click on the OK option.
- On the Registry Editor window, click on the Edit button which is located at the top menu bar and choose the Find option.
- Copy and paste the CLSID in the Find what box and then hit the Enter button.
- Once it is done, again open the Registry Editor window. After that, go to the following folders HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID key.
- On the Right side window, there will be two string values. One is Default string and it should list out the name of the service. The name should be RutimeBroker.
- The next task is to Run a script to make some changes in the permission tab found in Component Services for this service.
Solution 2 – Opening Component Services
Opening the component services can solve the distributedcom error 10016 on Windows 10 system. Hence, perform the following:
- First of all, go to the Search box, type Component Services and right-click on the search result. Here, you will see the Run as administrator option, click on it.
- From Component Services, go to the following file Component Services – Computers – My Computer – DCOM Config
- On the DCOM Config file, scroll down the page until you find the Runtime Broker.
- Right-click on it and choose the Properties button.
- In the Properties window, go to the General tab where you can see Application ID that should match with the AppID from the error message.
Solution 3 – Remove the Registry Key
An alternative solution is removing the registry key that you can try out to get rid of this error code on your computer. To remove it, follow these instructions:
- Open the Run box, type regedit and then hit the Enter button or click on the OK button.
- When the Registry Editor window opens, navigate to the following sections HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftOle’.
- On that section locate the following keys and delete them:
- After performing these steps, restart the device and then check if the error code still occurs or not.
Solution 4 – Enable Sufficient Permission
If nothing works, then try out the last fix that is enabling sufficient permission. Therefore, do the following.
- Launch the Run window, type regedit and then press the Enter button or click on the OK option.
- From the Registry Editor window, navigate to the following folders HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT >> CLSID folder on the left panel. After that, select the CLSID folder to expand it.
- Locate and right-click on the CLSID that you have received in the error message and choose the Folder button.
- Next, you will see the Owner at the top of the window. Modify it to the Administrators group.
- On the Owner window, select Replace all child object permission entries that are present at the bottom. Now, you will see the Windows Security Warning window has opened. Click on the OK button and then select the Yes option.
- Next, go back to the main permission window. On that window, click on the Add button and type Everyone and then click on the OK option.
- Again on the main permissions window, choose Everyone from the user’s list which is present at the top and click on the Full Control button under the Allow column. After that, select the OK option to apply the full control.
- Next, again open the Registry Editor window, go to the following paths HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >> Software >> Classes >> AppID.
- Click on the folder having APPID same to the error message and right-click on it.
- Repeat the steps 5 to 7 to give sufficient permissions to the app.
Next, open the Control Panel window and double-click on the Administrative Tools. After that, go to the Component Services.
On the Component Services window, navigate to the Computer>>My Computer. Right-click on the DCOM Config and choose the Properties button.
From the Properties window, go to the Security tab. If the permissions are properly set in the registry then you should select the Customize on three categories (Launch and Activation Permissions, Access Permissions, and Configuration Permissions).
In the new window, go to the user’s list and find the System. If you do not find then click on the Add button, type System and then click on the OK button.
On the System window, find Local Launch and Local Activation and click on the Allow button. Once you are done with these steps select the OK button to save the changes. Repeat these steps two other items Configuration Permissions and Access Permissions.
Hopefully, after following the above-mentioned solutions with the steps you will be able to fix the distributedcom error 10016 on the Windows 10 device.