Windows 10 is one of the best Operating System available in the market from Microsoft Corporation. Due to its awesome features, services, and application, this Operating System has gained a lot of attention from all the users.
Despite having so many different features, you might sometimes encounter some issues in Windows 10. One such problem about which there is some discussion in this article is Windows update error 0x800f081f.
You can get this issue when you attempt to update the ‘DotNet Framework’ on the computer. There are various reasons as to why this error can occur after all. Some of the usual causes are that if some of the system files get corrupted, then you can face this issue.
Even if the components of the Windows Update utility has any kind of malfunction, then there is a possibility for you to encounter this technical glitch. Moreover, if the ‘.Net Framework’ is not active, then also this issue can crop up.
Stepwise Guidance on How to Remove the Error 0x800f081f of Windows Update:
This section of the article will provide you with various methods that will help to get rid of this issue from the computer.
The Process to Enable the .Net Framework
If the ‘.Net Framework’ of the Windows OS is not enabled, then for that reason, you can come across this problem. Now, the best solution to rectify this problem is to activate the ‘.Net Framework’, as it is needed for the Update utility to work properly.
Here are the steps on how can you achieve it.
- First, hit the combination of two following keys ‘Windows + S’, to open the ‘Search’ section. Next, within that section, type in the text “Windows features”.
- Then, from the result of that search, select the ‘Turn Windows features on or off’. As soon as you do that, then a new window with the name Windows Features will come up.
- Inside that window, scroll down a little and then check if the ‘.Net Framework 3.5 (includes .Net 2.0 and 3.0)’ has a check mark or not.
- Now, if this option is not selected, then tap on it to put a tick mark. After that, to confirm this feature, click on the OK button.
- Finally, attempt to update the Windows Operating System and see if this error comes back or not.
Utilize the Offline Installer of the .Net Framework
If by using the normal process you fail to update ‘.Net Framework’ as it should due to corrupt internal files, then you can get this error code 0x800f081f on Windows 10. The best solution to avoid this issue is to use the offline installer of the ‘.Net Framework’.
In order to do that, follow the lines that are provided underneath.
- First, open the web browser of your choice. Then visit the official website of the ‘Microsoft’ and search for the ‘.Net Framework’ installer.
- Once you have located the setup file of the installer, then press the ‘Download’ button. As soon as you tap on that button, then automatically the download process will begin.
- Now, wait for a few minutes so that the download procedure gets over. After that, find the location of the setup file and double-click on it to run.
- At this moment, the installer window will appear. Next, follow the information that comes up on the screen and accordingly install the ‘.Net Framework’ into the computer.
- Once the installation process completes, then reboot the computer.
- Lastly, when the computer boots up next time, then check whether this problem is still present or not.
Manually Install the Updates of Windows OS
If you are facing this error while trying to update the Windows system software automatically, then the correct way to mitigate this problem is to install all the Windows updates manually.
Follow these steps below in order to know how to do it.
- First, visit the official ‘Update History’ page of Microsoft. Then open the local update history present within the computer and next, compare all the contains within them to find the missing updates.
- Now, when you find an update code in the ‘Update History’ webpage, then take note of that and visit the ‘Microsoft Update Catalog’ webpage.
- Next, go to the search area of that webpage then, type the update code and press ‘Enter’. When you get the results of that search, then carefully choose the update package according to the system architecture of the machine and ‘Download’ the same.
- Once the downloading process of the update package is complete, then open the package to reveal the setup file.
- Now, run that setup file and then follow the instructions to install the update on your PC.
- After the manual installation process of the Windows Update gets over, then restart the computer.
Use the SFC and DISM Utility
When any system files within the machine get corrupted or are misplaced, due to some reason, then Windows update error 0x800f081f can crop. The easiest way to resolve this issue is to run the SFC and DISM tools.
The SFC or System File Checker is a built-in tool present in the Windows OS that scans the computer for any corrupt system files and attempts to repair them automatically.
Now, when some system files that are corrupted cannot be repaired by the SFC, then the DISM tool will fix it instead. The DISM or Deployment Image Servicing and Management is another inbuilt tool present in Windows OS that replaces the system files which are not repaired by SFC.
To do that, follow the sentences beneath.
- First, press on both the keys ‘Windows + X’ simultaneously. This will launch the ‘Options Menu’. Next, from that Menu, find and then choose the ‘Windows PowerShell (Admin)’ option.
- As soon as you tap on that option, then a new page with the blue background will appear. Now, within that window, type in the following command – “SFC/scannow”. After that, tap on the ‘Enter’ key to execute it.
- Now, wait for a few minutes to complete the execution of that command. Once the execution gets over, then check if this error comes up during the Windows Update procedure.
- If this error comes up, then write the command present in the following – “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” and then, tap on the Enter button.
- Next, let this command run. After that, quit from the Command Prompt window and restart the computer.
Finally, when the machine starts up once again, then see whether this problem reappears or not.
Initiate the Windows Update Components Once Again
If any component of the Windows Update utility malfunctions, then there is a possibility for you to meet this error. The simple way to get rid of this glitch is to restart all the Windows Update components. Now, just follow all these steps to eradicate this problem.
- First, tap on the Cortana logo to launch the ‘search’ area. Next, inside that area, type in the text ‘command prompt’. Next, from the output of that search, locate the ‘Command Prompt’ and right-click on it.
- Then, from the popup menu that comes up, choose the ‘Run as Administrator’ option. As soon as you click on the option, then a prompt will appear where you need to choose the ‘Yes’ button.
- At this moment, a new window with the name ‘Command Prompt’ will come up.
- Next, within that window, type the following commands – “net stop wuauserv”, “net stop appidsvc” “net stop cryptSvc”, “net stop bits” and after each of them, tap ‘Enter’ to run. These commands will stop all the component of the Windows Update service.
- After that, alter the name of the Software Distribution and catroot2 directories. For doing that, follow these commands – “ ren %systemroot%SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak”, “ren %systemroot%system32catroot2 catroot2.bak”.
- Now, initiate all those Windows Update components which were stopped on the fourth step of this method. Those commands are as follow – “net start appidsvc”, “net start wuauserv”, “net start bits”, “net start cryptSvc”.
Once all the command execution is complete, then attempt to update the Windows and inspect if this error pops back up or not.
Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter Tool
You might encounter this error if there is any internal issue with the Update Troubleshooter tool of the Windows 10 OS. Now, the best way to get an easy fix is to execute the Windows Update Troubleshooter. Here are the simple steps that you can follow.
- First, tap on both the keys ‘Windows + R’ together. Then the ‘Run’ dialog box will open up. Now, within it, type in the following text “control panel” next to the ‘Open’ label. Then, click on the ‘OK’ button.
- Now, a new window that has a name ‘Control Panel’ will come up. In that window, there are various computer settings categories which can be altered by you whenever there is a need.
- Next, navigate to the search text box at the upper right edge of the window. Now in it, input the text as follows “troubleshooting”, then hit the Enter key. After that, from the output of that search, choose the ‘Troubleshooting’ option.
- A new page called ‘Troubleshoot computer problems’ will come up. Inside it, go to the ‘System and Security’ section. Then under it, choose the ‘Fix problems with Windows Update’ link.
- Now, the next window with a name ‘Windows Update’ will come up. Here move to the bottom and choose the ‘Next’ button. At this moment, the Windows will try to detect any problems with the Update utility.
- When the troubleshooter gets some issue within it, then this problem will be automatically fixed.
If after following all the steps on the previous section still you cannot able to rectify the Windows 10 update error 0x800f081f, then do not think too much. Provide the query that you are currently facing on the comment section below this article. You can also opt to get a quick fix from an expert.