Users of the Windows Operating System often face the Windows error code 0xc0000225 while trying to update the OS to the latest version. Most of the time it is reasoned out to be the damaged BCD or Boot Configuration Data of the system.
That means this error indicates that Windows is unable to find the system files that are necessary for booting. The error code 0xc0000225 can also be caused by a hardware failure, misconfiguration of the disk file system, or damaged system files.
If you are also stuck on the same error, then nothing to get worried about this. Here in this post, you will know some essential tricks which can help you to troubleshoot this error. Hence, you are recommended to have a look at the guide discussed below. So, let’s start.
Easy Tips and Tricks to Fix the Error Code 0xc0000225 Windows 10
There are several ways to fix this error. Hence, you should stick to the troubleshooting hacks explained below. Try all the hacks one-by-one and check the one that is appropriate for you.
Way 1: Run the Automatic Repair
Before going to perform any complicated solutions, you should try to run the automatic repair to check if it can fix the error. To do this, you should perform the steps as follows:
- First, insert the Windows 10 installation media and restart the computer.
- If the windows prompt to press any key, then you should press a key from the keyboard.
- Now, choose your preferred language and tap on the Next button.
- Tap on the ‘Repair your computer’ option by going to the bottom-left side of the window.
- It will navigate you to Choose an option window. Tap on the ‘Troubleshoot’ option.
- On the next window, you should navigate to the ‘Advanced’ option.
- Tap on the ‘Automatic Repair’ option.
- Now, you have to wait until the Windows Automatic Repair process finishes.
Restart the computer to check if the error code 0xc0000225 is solved or not. If it’s not, then you should try the next procedure.
Way 2: Repair the Boot Sector or Rebuilt BCD
You can also fix this error by repairing the boot sector of the system.
How to Rebuild BCD?
- In the beginning, you have to perform the first six steps from the previous method.
- Now, tap on the ‘Command Prompt’ option from the Advanced options window.
- Next, type the commands given below one-by-one and press the Enter key after each command.
1st: bootrec.exe /FixMbr
2nd: bootrec.exe /FixBoot
3rd: bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd
- If you see that the above commands didn’t run, then you should use the command given below. Don’t forget to hit the Enter to run the command.
1st: bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
3rd: cd boot
4th: attrib bcd -s -h -r
5th: ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
6th: bootrec /RebuildBcd
After running the above commands, you should exit from the Command Prompt and restart the computer. Try to update the OS to check If the error still continuing or not. If the error appears, then move on to further hacks described below:
Way 3: Mark Partition as Active Using Diskpart
According to some users, they have fixed this issue by marking the partition as active. To perform this, you should have a look at the steps provided below:
- First, go to the Start menu and type “command prompt” on the search field.
- Right-click on the search result and choose the ‘Run as Administrator’ option from the list to run the Command Prompt with the Administrator privileges.
- On the Command Prompt window, you have to type “diskpart.” Hit the Enter key from the keyboard to execute the command.
- Next, type the commands given below:
1st: DISKPART> select disk 1
2nd: DISKPART> select partition 1
3rd: DISKPART> active
4th: DISKPART> exit
- Here, you have to mark the System Reserved Partition active. If you are unable to locate the System Reserved Partition, then you should mark the ‘C:’ Drive as an active partition.
- After that, restart the system to apply the changes.
Now, you should check if the error has been fixed or not. If the issue is still unresolved, then go to the further solutions stated below.
Way 4: Restore MBR
By restoring the MBR, you can also solve the Windows 10 error code 0xc0000225. To restore MBR, you need to follow the steps given below:
- First, go to the Start menu.
- Then, launch the Command Prompt window with admin privilege.
- Now, type the command “bootsect /nt60 C:” on the command line and press the Enter key from the keyboard to execute the command.
- Now, you need to wait until the procedure finishes. Then, restart the computer.
After that, try to update the OS to check if the issue still appearing or not. If the error still exists, then go to further solutions.
Way 5: Run the SFC and CHKDSK
System File Checker or SFC is an in-built tool of Windows OS that helps the users to fix the corrupted system files of the computer. Hence, you should try this one to check if it can help you to fix the error. To Run the SFC and CHKDSK, you should perform the steps as follows:
- First, bring up the Start menu.
- Then, invoke the Command Prompt with administrator privileges.
- Next, you have to type the commands given below. Hit the Enter key from the keyboard to execute them.
1st: sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows
2nd: chkdsk c: /r
- Now, the SFC and CHKDSK will start to scan the entire system for any damaged system files. It will also fix them by itself.
- After completing the scanning procedure, you should exit from the Command Prompt window and restart the system.
Now, try to update the OS to check if the error has been fixed or not. If the issue persists, then you should perform the next solution.
Way 6: Using System Restore
After trying all the above solutions if you are still unable to update the Operating System, then you should try this one. By restoring the system, you can undo the actions that you have performed on your computer:
- In the beginning, you have to follow the first six steps from the 1st Method.
- Then, tap on the ‘System Restore’ options.
- Now, select the recent restore point. By doing so, you will allow the system to return to the previous state without affecting the personal files.
- Now, you have to boot the system to save the changes.
Now, you should check whether the issue has been solved.
That’s it. In the above post, we have described some of the foolproof methods to troubleshoot the windows error code 0xc0000225. We hope if you execute the above-mentioned procedures in a proper way, then it will surely assist you to put an end to this error.
Sometimes, it also becomes difficult to perform the above procedures without any technical knowledge. Or if you face any other kinds of troubles while performing the above solutions, then you should connect with a tech expert. In addition, you can also share your doubts and valuable feedback through the comment section given at the end of this guide.