Windows update error 0x80070005 is a common bug faced by several Windows users while trying to update the Operating System to the latest version. Usually, this error appears when users try to update their OS from a particular app.
There are multiple reasons behind this error. You can face this error due to faulty file permissions. If there is any problem with the Firewall or antivirus program of the system, then it also might be the reason behind this error. Whatever the reason is, you have to fix it to keep the OS updated.
If you are also on the same condition and are searching for the solutions to this error, then you have arrived at the right place. Here in this post, you will get to know some easy tricks which can help you to solve this error. So, you are recommended to go through this guide thoroughly and implement the solutions as provided.
Easy Tips and Tricks to Fix the Windows Update Error 0x80070005
There are several methods to solve this error. Hence, you are advised to stick to the hacks in the exact order provided. Apply the fixes one by one until you get the issue fixed.
Way 1: Switch to Admin Account
This error can appear due to the problems with the admin account. To fix this, you should perform the steps as follows:
- Go to the Start menu.
- Tap on the Control Panel.
- Look at the upper right corner of the screen and tap on the drop-down arrow of the ‘View by’ option. Choose ‘Category’ from the list.
- Navigate to the ‘Users Accounts and Family Safety’ category.
- Tap on the ‘User Accounts’ option.
- Click on the ‘Change your account type’ option. If it prompts for the password, then enter the password.
- Save the changes by restarting the computer.
Way 2: Update the Drivers
The drivers help the computer to communicate between the system and all the install programs or applications. Such drivers always need to be kept up-to-date. Hence, you need to check if there is available any update of system drivers. To do this, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Navigate to the My Computer and right-click on it.
- Select ‘Properties’ from the menu.
- On the left pane of the screen, you will see the ‘Device Manager’ option. Click on it.
- Click on the Network Adapters.
- Right-click on the option that is showing yellow exclamation marks beside it.
- Choose the ‘Update Driver’ option from the list.
- Wait for a few minutes until the process completes.
Way 3: By Allowing Full Control
If any particular app triggers the error code 0x80070005, then it might be due to the permissions of the folder. You can fix it by granting full control. Here are the steps you should perform:
- Hit the R and Windows key both at the same time from the keyboard.
- It will open the Run Command box. Within the box, type “ C:\Users\USERNAME \AppData.” Here you may need to change the ‘C’ with the drive letter where you have installed the Windows OS. Tap on the OK button.
- From the next window, right-click on the Local folder located at the left pane of the window.
- It will open the Properties window. Navigate to the Security tab.
- Tap on the ‘Edit’ option. Select the ‘Add’ option from the current page. Type “Everyone” and tap on the ‘Check names’ option. Click on the OK button. Select the ‘Full Control’ option.
- Again tap on the OK button. It will save the changes that you made.
- Now, restart the computer and check whether you still encounter the same error while trying to update the Windows.
Way 4: Configure the Windows Update Settings
You can also solve the error code 0x80070005 by configuring the Windows Update settings. But, before performing the steps, you have to make sure that you are logged in with administrator privilege. After that, you should perform the steps as follows:
- Navigate to the Start menu.
- Type “update” in the search field of the Start menu and press the Enter key from the keyboard to proceed further.
- From the list of Search results, choose the ‘Windows Update’ option.
- Tap on the ‘Change Settings’ option. Choose the ‘Select Install updates automatically (recommended)’ option by going to the Important Updates category.
- You can select a schedule for the updates to be installed properly.
- Tap on the OK button.
If the Windows firewall settings still trigger the error code 0x80070005 even after the automatic updates, then you should perform the steps mentioned below:
- Go to the Start menu.
- Type “firewall” in the search field of the Start menu.
- Tap on the ‘Windows Firewall’ option.
- From the left side of the screen, you should select the ‘Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall’ option.
- Tap on the ‘Change settings’ option. Go to the ‘Allow another program’ option and tap on the ‘Browse’ button.
- On the next window, you have to find the ‘svchost.exe’ file and tap on the ‘Open’ button. Click on the ‘Add’ option.
- Now, you will see a new program on the list named as ‘Host Process for Windows Services.’
- Tap on the OK button.
Way 5: Uninstall the Program Related with the Error Code 0x80070005 and Reinstall it
Sometimes, the error code 0x80070005 appears due to any particular program. If such is the case, you can fix this issue by reinstalling that program. To do it, you should have a look at the steps provided below:
- Go to the Start Menu.
- Tap on the ‘Programs and Features’ button.
- On the next window, you will see a complete list of installed programs of your computer. Find the program that is creating the error.
- Right-click on the particular program.
- Choose the ‘Delete/Uninstall’ option from the list.
- Now, the window prompts the confirmation. Tap on the ‘Yes’ button.
- After completing the uninstallation process, you should reinstall the application by following the on-screen guidance.
- Restart the system and check if the error has been resolved.
Way 6: Run the SFC or System File Checker
You can also fix this issue by running the System File Checker. SFC is an in-built utility of the Windows Operating System that helps the users to scan the entire system for any damage or corrupted system file.
It has also the efficiency to fix the damage system file by itself. Hence, you should try to run the System File Checker to check if it can fix the issue.
How do you Run System File Checker?
- In the beginning, bring up the Start menu.
- Then, type “command prompt” on the search field of the Start menu.
- Right-click on the ‘Command Prompt’ option showing as the search result.
- Choose the ‘Run as Administrator’ option from the list to run the Command Prompt with admin privilege.
- Type the command “sfc/scannow” on the Command Prompt window. Hit the Enter key from the keyboard to execute the command.
- Now, the System File Checker will start to scan the entire system for any damaged or corrupted system files.
- If it locates any damaged or corrupted system files, then it will fix them by itself.
- After completing this process, you should close the Command Prompt window and restart the system to apply the changes.
Way 7: Reset the Windows Update Components
Resetting the Windows update components is also a viable way to fix this error. To perform this, you should follow the steps given below:
- Go to the location ‘C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download’ (here you may need to replace ‘C’ with the drive letter where you have installed Windows OS).
- Choose all the files from the Software Distribution folder. Then, remove it permanently from the system.
- Next, open the Recycle Bin and clear it to install a fresh update.
Way 8: Conduct a Full Malware Scan for the System
You can also face the error code 0x80070005 due to infection of virus or malware. It may have corrupted, damaged, or even removed the Runtime error-related folders and files. Hence, you should run the malware or virus protection tool to scan the computer and fix the error.
In this post, we have described some of the best hacks to fix the Windows 10 update error 0x80070005. We hope, after successfully performing the above methods, it will surely assist you to put an end to this error.
If you face any kinds of trouble while implementing the above methods, then you can seek help from a tech expert for further assistance. In addition, you can also share your doubts and valuable feedback through the comment section given at the end of this guide.