When you are trying to create installation media, you can encounter an error message showing Windows error code 0x80042405 – 0xa001a. You can also encounter this error on your device due to wrong disk settings.
If you have are facing this typical error on your device and looking for a perfect solution to resolve this issue, you can follow this article as your troubleshooting guide. Hopefully, it will help you out in resolving the problem quickly so that you can resume your precious work on your PC.
Fixes for Windows Error Code 0x80042405 – 0xa001a
Here are some fixes which you can use to resolve Windows 10 setup error code 0x80042405 – 0xa001a. Hence, go through them thoroughly and implement them one by one to get rid of the error instantly.
Method 1: Format USB as NTFS
Once you encounter this error with your device, you need to Format USB as NTFS, to resolve it. In that case, you can try out these steps:
- First, press the Windows + E and in the left navigation bar, tap on the This-PC.
- Here you will be able to see the target USB device. Right click on it and choose the Format option.
- Now, you will see a window will pop up, which will ask you for all of the additional details. Now, make sure that the format is set as NTFS and continue with the process.
- After performing these steps, you need to run the Media Creation Tool and check whether it fixes the error or not.
In case, you notice this error persists, try to follow the next method.
Method 2: Use Disk Management to Convert to Master Boot Record
If previous method fails to work, you can use Disk management to convert to Master Boot Record to fix this error. Windows Media Creation Tool needs your USB drive to be set as an MBR (Master Boot Record) instead of a GUID Partition Table. To perform this action follow these steps:
- At first, press the Windows key and the R key at the same time to launch the Run dialog box.
- After that, in the dialogue box, type “diskpart” and hit Enter to continue.
- Now, Enter the command: list disk.
- After that, enter the command: select disk x
- Take note that, ‘x’ is the name of the disk, which you want to create to a bootable media.
- Now, you need to clean the drive before you take an attempt to convert it to an MBR.
- For this, you need to type the commands which are listed below. Wait until the cleaning procedure completes.
- convert mbr
- After that, you need to run the Media Creation Tool and check if the issue has been resolved or not.
Method 3: Use Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool
Microsoft released a Windows 7 USB/DVS download tool to help people to create installation media. To resolve this particular error using this method, you can follow these steps:
- Firstly, you need to go to the official website of Microsoft and download the ISO file and store it in an accessible location.
- After that, you need to download Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool from the official website and install it on your computer using the on-screen instructions.
- When you complete the installation procedure, try to run the application as an administrator.
- Initially, you will need to select ISO file against which you want to create a bootable drive.
- After that, you need to choose the ISO, which you have downloaded and continue with the step.
- Next, you need to choose the target drive and follow the onscreen instructions to create a bootable USB drive.
After completing these steps, you will be able to resolve this error on your own.
After implementing the fixes provided in this article, hopefully, you will be able to resolve this Windows error code 0x80042405 – 0xa001a on your own. If you have any further queries related to the issue you are facing, you can directly contact an expert to avail professional help and avoid hassles of performing the fixes yourself. You can also leave your comment in the comment section to share your valuable opinion and any other fix that works for this particular error code. Stay glued with us to get more troubleshooting posts at your fingertips.