To compete with the other advanced Operating Systems and attract new consumers towards them, Microsoft often provides lots of eye-catching updates for its consumers. These updates not only provide new additional features for the users but they also fix various bugs and improves the device performance.
But what if you are not able to download the update? Definitely, it’s a devastating experience for any user. Error 0xc1900107 is one of those error notifications which not allow the Windows 10 users to download the anniversary update.
According to the official explanation, error code 0xc1900107 is usually associated with pending Windows updates. But after analyzing the report we found that for most affected users, the anniversary update is the only pending Windows update for their computer. So what else can trigger this error notification? How you can solve the issue?
If you want to get the answer to these questions then you are in the right place. In this article, we are going to explain some effective methods for you which can resolve the issue within a few minutes. So please go through the rest of the article.
Effective Solution to Fix the Error Code 0xc1900107
After analyzing all the reports on this error, we finally come to the conclusion that error code 0xc1900107 is not only associated with the pending updates but can be the result of the malfunctioning Windows Update components or corrupt update files present in the Windows update folder. If you somehow manage to know which one is triggering the error in your computer, then you can choose the appropriate method from the list below. Otherwise, you have to go through all the troubleshooting technique one by one to fix the issue.
Method #1: Run Windows Troubleshooter
No matter what Windows error you are trying to fix, always try to troubleshoot it with the easiest and quickest method at first. When it comes to the easiest methods, using the Windows Troubleshooter is without a doubt the best option for you.
Windows Troubleshooter will scan your system for any inconsistencies related to the updating component and apply various repair strategies targeted towards fixing the issue. To run the Window Troubleshooter in your device, follow the steps as given below.
- Open the Run dialog box by clicking on the Win+R key.
- After that, type ms-settings: troubleshoot and hit the Enter button to open the Getup and running tab.
- Now, scroll down a little and then click on Windows Update to select Run the troubleshooter.
- After that, simply wait until the utility completes the scanning process and find any glitches. If any inconsistencies are found, click on the Apply this fix to run the suggested repair strategy.
Once it’s done, restart your computer and check if the Windows error code 0xc1900107 is resolved or not.
Method #2: Check your BITS Service
If automatic fixing process didn’t resolve the Windows 10 update error code 0xc1900107 issue then it’s time to try out some complicated technical hacks.
Talking about technical hacks, first, check the BITS service of your device. BITS is a very essential service for all the Windows devices because this is the function which delivers the update for your device. For some reason, if the BITS get disabled then it can trigger the error code 0xc1900107. So, whenever you get an update related problem, always check if the BITS service is running or not. If you don’t know how to do check BITS service then follow these steps:
- At first, turn on your device and then press Win+R key to open the Run dialogue box.
- Once the Run dialogue box opens, type service.msc and then hit the OK button.
- When the new window opens, you will get the list of services available in your device. Try to find the Background Intelligent Transfer Service from the Name column and once you find it, right click on it to select the Properties option.
- Now, from the pop-up window, select the General Tab and then head to the option label as Status type. If it’s selected as Manual/ Automatic or Disabled, then click on the dropdown menu and select Automatic (Delayed Start).
- Next, move to the Service status section and click on the Start button.
After making the changes, restart your computer and then check for the status of the error. If the problem is still present, jump to the next method.
Method #3: Manually Reset Windows Update Component
It is also possible that you are getting the Windows 10 update error code 0xc1900107 due to some glitches in the Windows update component. In this case, you need to reset all the Windows update components manually to get rid of the issue from your device. Here is the guide to manually reset windows update component.
- At first, turn on your device and then click on the Start button located in the bottom left corner of the Windows PC.
- Now type cmd in the search bar and then open the Command Prompt with the administrative privilege from the search result.
- When the Command Prompt window open type WinX Menu in it and then hit the Enter button to open the elevated Command Prompt in it.
- Once the elevated Command Prompt opens type the following commands one after another. Make sure you hit the Enter button after typing each command:
1) net stop wuauserv (to pause Windows Update Services)
2) net stop cryptSvc (to pause Cryptographic services)
3) net stop bits (to pause BITS services)
4) net stop msiserver (to pause MSI Installer)
- After disabling the above-mentioned services run the following command to rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folders.
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
- Once the renaming is done, restart all the service you have paused at the second step, by typing the following command
1) net start wuauserv
2) net start cryptSvc
3) net start bits
4) net start msiserver
After making the following changes close the Command Prompt window and then restart your computer.
Method #4: Disable Proxy Server Settings
Nowadays, people often use VPN and proxy server to access internet content which can’t be opened in the normal way. But sometimes, this VPN service interferes with your device Windows Update service and cause a different type of update related issue. So, to make sure that your VPN service is not causing the problem in your device, disable the Proxy server from the Internet Properties windows. If you are interested in using this method, then follow these steps:
- Open the Run dialogue box from your device and then type inetcpl.cpl and press Enter.
- When you press the Enter button the Internet Properties window will open. Now, click on the Connections tab and then go to the Local Area Network setting section.
- From this section, you have to click on the LAN settings button to open the pop-up window of Local Area Network Settings.
- Now, from the current window head to the Proxy server section and uncheck the box which is entitled with “Use a proxy server for your LAN”.
After completing the above steps, click on the Ok button from the bottom of the window and after that, check if the problem is fixed or not.
Method #5: Delete or Rename the $WINDOWS.~BT folder
If the above methods do not work for you then it is possible that you are facing the corrupted file issue in your device. According to various user reviews, if the folder ( $WINDOWS.~BT folder ) where Windows stores downloaded material for Windows updates get corrupted then it can trigger the error 0xc1900107 notification. So simply deleting this folder will be more than enough to fix the error issue.
In case you are worried about harming your computer then no need to worry. Because Windows will create the folder and download everything it need automatically. If you don’t know how to delete or rename $WINDOWS.~BT then here is the guide for you:
- At first, turn on your device and then open the File Explorer.
- Once the File Explorer window opens go to This PC section.
- Now open the Local Disk (C:) or whichever your system hard drive is.
- Next click on the View tab located and the top of the screen and then check the box labeled as Hidden Files.
- Now locate the folder named as $WINDOWS. ~ BT and then rename it or delete it.
After completing the above changes try to install the update again.
Method #6: Run the WURest Script
If none of the above methods works for you, then your last option will be run the WUReset script.
It is a custom-made script designed to fix various Windows update errors which include error code 0xc1900107.
To use this method you need to follow a few simple steps:
- At first, turn on your device and then open the Notepad from it.
- After opening the notepad copy and paste the following commands:
1) @ECHO OFF
2) echo Simple Script to Reset / Clear Windows Update
6) attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2
7) attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2\*.*
8) net stop wuauserv
9) net stop CryptSvc
10) net stop BITS
11) ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
12) ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution sold.old
13) ren “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\application data\Microsoft\Network\downloader” downloader.old
14) net Start BITS
15) net start CryptSvc
16) net start wuauserv
18) echo Task completed successfully…
- Now save the file as “WUReset.bat”, (including the quotes)
- After that right click on the file and then run the script as Administrator
Hope our guide is able to solve your query regarding the problem “how to fix Windows 10 update error code 0xc1900107?” If you know some better methods to fix the issue then you can share it with us. Somehow, if the above methods are unable to solve the Windows error code 0xc1900107, then we will highly recommend you to get in touch with an expert for better guidance.