A quite annoying error that a lot of users face is Skype playback device error. This issue occurs while calling through the Skype application.
Sometimes, the call will dismiss automatically after the first ring. This can arise when you are calling and getting a call at the same time. This can be a quite frustrating experience for you.
This problem can occur due to a couple of reasons. But, correct Audio Settings and outdated Audio Drivers are the principal causes for this error.
Fortunately, there are many reliable ways that you can try to resolve this matter. Hence, keep reading this entire article and fix this error as soon as possible.
Resolve the Skype Playback Device Error Windows: Efficient Tricks
Whenever you find such kind of Skype playback device related issue, you can try out these solutions. These will definitely help you out.
Method 1: Remove the Audio Device
Most of the times, problems with the audio device triggers this error. So, this can be fixed by removing the audio device.
- Locate and press Windows + X keys simultaneously.
- This process will invoke the Device Manager. Once the Device Manager window opens, navigate to the Sound Controller section and choose your audio device.
- Now, double-tap on it and choose the Disable button from the resultant list.
- This process automatically looks for the missing or damaged drivers and install the latest version of drivers.
- After finishing the uninstallation, select the Restart button. Once your device boots up, check whether the issue gets resolved or not.
Method 2: Restart Skype
Simply closing and re-opening the Skype application can settle this Skype playback device error.
To do so, locate Skype in the taskbar. Once you locate the Skype icon, tap on it and choose the Quit button from the list.
After closing the Skype application, re-launch it and verify if the error gets eliminated or not. In case, you still find the same error, then proceed with the next method.
Method 3: Review the Playback Device Settings
If you have multiple audio devices, there are high chances that you have set the incorrect device for Skype.
Therefore, attempt to choose the playback device in Skype manually. Open Skype and then navigate to the Tools section.
Now, click on Options and then navigate to Audio Settings. After that, expand the option and choose the accurate audio device for Skype.
Once you are done, hit the OK button twice and save the new changes. Check if the error gets removed or not.
Method 4: Deselect the Automatically Adjust Speaker Settings
It is another significant way that can help you out. To perform this action, you need to go through the following steps:
- At first, launch Skype and go to the Tools section.
- Here, you need to go fo Options.
- Go to the Audio Settings and then click on the Speakers from the resultant menu.
- Then, locate the option Automatically Adjust Speaker Settings. Once you find it, right-click on it and deselect the checkbox.
- Now, save all the new changes by hitting the Apply button as well as the OK button. Once it is done, close all the window and reboot your device.
Method 5: Update Audio Driver
You can also update the drivers for resolving this matter. To do so, simply follow the steps underneath.
- First of all, open the Start menu and then write Device Manager into the Run box. Hit Enter.
- Now, select the top result in order to invoke the Device Manager window. Once the Device Manager window opens, tap on Category and the device you need to update.
- After that, right-click on the device and then choose Update Drivers.
- Next, look for the “Search Automatically For Updated Driver Software” option. Once you find it, tap on it.
- If you find the available updates, then hit the Install Update button. This process might take a while to finish. So, be patient and don’t interrupt the process.
Once the process is over, reboot your device and verify if the issue has been resolved.
Method 6: Reset the Skype Configuration Files
To perform this task, first, you have to close the Skype application. Then, continue with the given steps:
- Press and hold the Windows key + R key simultaneously to launch the Run dialog box.
- In the Run box, write %appdata% and press the Enter key.
- Locate the folder of Skype and rename it with Skype.old. Keep in mind that it will erase all the message history. But you can easily access them in the renamed Skype folder.
- Now, reboot the device. Once the device restarts, check if the issue gets eradicated from your device.
Method 7: Run Audio Troubleshooter
Primarily, you need to go to the Windows Settings and then click on the Update and Security option. Now, from the Update and Security section, tap on Troubleshooting.
After that, find the Recording Audio option from the drop-down menu. After that, follow the further online instruction to complete the entire troubleshooting process.
Method 8: Reinstall the Skype Application
If nothing works, then you might require to uninstall the Skype application and then install it again.
In order to proceed with this process, you need to close the Skype application and ensure that it is not running in the background.
After that, tap on the Windows Start button and then invoke the Run box. Now, in the Run box, write “appwiz.cpl” and hit the Enter key or click on the OK button.
Next, tap on Program. Once the new window opens, right click on Skype from the list and choose the Remove/Uninstall button.
Once the Skype application is deleted from your device, follow the on-screen prompts to reinstall Skype.
When we wrap up the short discussion, we hope that you have been proactive on the receiving end and have a thorough grasp of the solutions that would come handy.
On this note, this issue can be stubborn and continue to persists after that. In that case, you can also opt for expert assistance.