Outlook send receive error is one of the most common errors for the user community. Sometimes, this error comes with the error code 0x80040610. If you are also stuck with the same problem, then you have to solve it immediately to use Outlook properly.
How to Fix Outlook Send/Receive Error?
There are various methods to fix this send/receive error in Outlook. Here, we are going to explain some of them. However, you can perform all the below hacks in their given order to get rid of this error:
Way 1: Check Outlook’s Email Settings
Often, misconfigured Outlook settings is considered as one of the major cause behind this error. Hence, you can check the email settings by following these steps:
- First of all, open the Outlook application and go to the File tab.
- Choose the ‘Account Settings’ option from the list and then click on the ‘Account Settings’ option.
- Tap on the ‘Change’ button under the ‘Account Settings’ window. Now, tap on the ‘More Settings’ option. Afterward, click on the ‘Outgoing Server’ option.
- Next, tick the box that prompts ‘My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication.’
- Lastly, check the ‘Log onto incoming server before sending mail’ box.
Afterward, restart the Outlook application and try to send an email. If you still can’t send it, you can move on to the further procedures described below.
Way 2: Empty Outbox and Change the Time-Out Duration
In Outlook mail, the server time-duration is 1 minute by default. If you are trying to send an email with an attachment of a large file, the default server timeout will be insufficient. This can often leave the emails stuck inside the outbox.
So, you can solve the Outlook send receive error by clearing the outbox and by increasing the timeout duration of the server. Here’s how to do this:
- First, perform the first 3 steps from the previous solution.
- Click on the ‘More Settings’ option and then tap on the ‘Advanced’ button.
- Now, you will get the option to increase the timeout duration of the server.
- Lastly, click on the ‘OK’ button to apply the settings.
It will allow you to send or receive emails. But, if you are still encountering the ‘Outlook send receive error’, then you can perform the next method described below.
Way 3: Disable Windows Firewall and Antivirus Program
According to some tech-specialists, third-party antivirus software and Windows firewall conflict with the Outlook application. This can cause the Outlook send receive error. Hence, you can disable the antivirus program to get rid of this error.
How to Disable Windows Firewall?
- First, go to the Start menu and open the Control Panel.
- Tap on the ‘Network Connections’ button.
- Now, right-click on the ‘Network Connection’ option and choose the ‘Properties’ option from the list.
- Then, turn the Firewall off by going to the Security tab.
How to Disable Antivirus Program?
To deactivate the third-party antivirus program, you can go to the bottom right side of the desktop. Now, search for the antivirus program installed on your computer.
If you are unable to locate this on the system tray, you can find it in the hidden tray. Click on the upper arrow from the right side of the taskbar.
Once you will get the Antivirus icon, right-click on it. Choose the ‘Disable’ option from the list.
After disabling the antivirus and Windows Firewall, you can check if the error is fixed.
Way 4: Create a New Outlook Profile and Set it as Default
If there is any problem in your Outlook profile, it might be the reason behind this error. Hence, you can create a new Outlook profile to solve this error. To create a new Outlook account, you can perform the steps given below:
- Open the Control Panel, go to the Mail button to open the ‘Mail Setup – Outlook’ window.
- Click on the ‘Show Profiles’ option. Afterward, tap on the Add button from the next pop-up window.
- Now, type a name for your new profile and tap on the OK button.
- Type the login credentials in the ‘Add Account’ window and tap the Next button.
How to Set the New Outlook Profile as the Default?
For setting your Outlook account as the default, follow these steps:
- Go to the Control Panel and navigate to the Mail section. Afterward, tap on the ‘Show Profiles’ under the ‘Mail Setup – Outlook’ window.
- Choose the newly created profile from the Mail window and tap on the ‘Properties’ button.
- Tap on the ‘Email Accounts’ button from the next window. Navigate to the ‘Data File’ tab on the next window and tap on the ‘Set as Default’ option.
Lastly, tap on the close button to exit. Now, you can check whether the ‘Outlook send receive error’ is fixed.
Way 5: Run Outlook in Safe Mode
After performing all the above-discussed solutions, if you can’t send or receive an email on Outlook, try to run the application in Safe Mode. To do this, you can take a quick look at the steps given below:
- Invoke the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows key and R simultaneously from the keyboard.
- Type “outlook.exe /safe” in the input field of the Run box and tap on the OK button to proceed.
- Now, choose the ‘Default Outlook’ option under the ‘Choose Profile’ window.
- Lastly, tap on the OK button to run the Outlook in Safe Mode.