FixErrorCodes is here to assist you at the time of your need.
Call Us Now :
The Microsoft Word error 0xc0000142 is one of the most hazardous error codes which in general strikes with an error note that says “the application was unable to start, need to close (error 0xc0000142).
This error code occurs when the Windows application fails to initialize properly in any of the Windows versions.
There are numerous users who are puzzled with this bothersome circumstances and have notified this issue. But thankfully, we got some marvelous hacks to deal with this error.
So, if you have any query for some permanent results to overcome this error code, then you have reached the right place.
In this content, we will share all the root causes and also the prime solutions to overcome this error as soon as possible.
Root Causes for Microsoft Word Error 0xc0000142:
If you are encountering Microsoft Word start error 0xc0000142 on your Windows PC, then there might be several prime causes behind this error code.
This error code mainly occurs due to the corruption of the Registry entries associated with the Microsoft programs.
Sometimes, this startup error also appears due to numerous junk files and the system caches stored in your Windows device.
If you are using the third-party applications on your computer, then it will be another principal cause for this error code 0xc0000142.
However, we have sufficient solutions to terminate this error code that we will explore in the next segment.
Efficient Methods to Resolve Microsoft Word Error 0xc0000142:
Here we are presenting some effective methods to resolve the Microsoft Word start error 0xc0000142.
You can either proceed with one of these solutions or all the methods discussed below unless you find that the Microsoft Word is getting started normally as earlier.
Method 1: Repair the Registry Entries Associated with Error Code 0xc0000142
The Windows Registry is a hierarchical database that allows the computer to store the low-level settings of all the Microsoft components.
The MS word error code 0xc0000142 usually occurs if the entries are mistakenly deleted or are changed.
Follow the steps listed below to repair the Registry Entries in order to start the MS Office service back on your PC.
- Turn on the computer and type Command in the Start bar to open the Command prompt.
- Now, click on Yes when a permission dialog box open and then type “regedit” into the Command pane.
- Tap the Enter key and locate the “MS Word.exe” from the Registry Editor.
- Select the Export option from the File menu and select the folder where you want to save the MS Word backup.
- After that, choose the Selected Branch option from the Export Range box and click on the Save button.
After completing all the above steps accurately, the new registry files will be now saved as “.reg file extension”.
Now, restart the computer and see if the Microsoft word is now starting normally. If the service is not starting yet or the above method fails, then try another solution discussed below.
Method 2: Clean up the System Junk and Temporary Files or Folders
Junk files and temporary files or folders are another prime cause for the startup issue on MS Word.
Follow the steps listed below to clean up all the junk files from your Windows PC.
- At first, click on the Start button and type Command into the search pane to invoke the Command Prompt.
- Click on Yes when a confirmation dialog box asks you to open the Command box.
- After that, type “cleanmgr” into the Command box and tap the Enter key to invoke the Disk Cleanup Utility tool.
- When the Disk Cleanup starts calculating the disk space, click on the Yes to delete all those affected or temporary files.
Now, again restart the PC and see if the MS Word error code 0xc0000142 exists or not. If the issue remains or finds that the Word is still not starting, try another solution discussed below.
Method 3: Perform a Clean Boot
Sometimes, the software application conflicts or gets corrupted which result in this error.
A clean boot allows the computer to resolve such issues. Apply the steps discussed below to perform a clean boot on your PC.
- At first, turn on the computer and go to the Run Command by pressing the Windows+R key at the same time from your keyboard.
- Type “msconfig” into the Run box and tap the Enter key. You can simply click on the OK button to begin the action.
- After that, click on the Services tab from the top of the results and check the Hide all Microsoft Services option.
- Select the Disable All option from the very bottom of the screen and click on the Startup tab.
- After that, you can see the Open Task Manager option, click on that to open the action and select each task one-by-one to Disable them.
After successfully completing all the above actions correctly, restart the computer and check if the error code 0xc0000142 survives or not.
If yes, then try another solution explained under.
Method 4: Use the Windows System Restore to Undo the Recent Changes
If you have recently done something wrong with the MS Word files, it will stop the whole unit to start normally as earlier.
Therefore, use the Windows System Restore method to undo the recent system changes that you have made.
Follow the steps discussed below to accomplish the activity.
- Tap the Windows Start button in the beginning and type System Restore into the Search pane.
- Now, tap the Enter key to invoke the action and click on the System Restore option from the list.
- Enter the Administrative password if asks and follow the steps in the Wizard.
- At last, select a Restore Point and restore the computer manually.
Now, restart the computer and see if the Microsoft Word start error 0xc0000142 is resolved or not.
We have shared all the possible ways to get the Microsoft Word back to start normally as earlier.
Hope the above article was beneficial enough to assist you on how to resolve the Microsoft Word error 0xc0000142 without any stress.
In case, the error code still appears or the above methods don’t aid, then there might be some other software issues or the internal faults.
In that case, you can try to update the MS service pack or consult with an engineer to get rid of this error.
Lastly, drop your precious feedback here in the comment box below and help us to know about how this article has helped you in resolving this particular error.