Touchpads are very essential components in laptops. It becomes very difficult to use a laptop if it stops functioning for some reason. You will have to arrange for an external mouse to continue with your work. However, that might make your task hectic and complicated.
If your HP laptop’s touchpad isn’t working, then you don’t need to worry much. In this article, we will provide you with some effective yet simple hacks, to deal with this problem. Hence, follow these solutions before you ask for a technician’s help.
What Factors are Responsible for ‘HP Laptop Touchpad Not Working’ Problem?
There are various factors, which can make your laptop’s touchpad freeze. Go through this section to learn about those factors:
- Touchpads might stop working if the corresponding drivers on your laptop are old and outdated. It can also happen when the touchpad drivers are corrupted or damaged.
- This component can cease to work if the touchpad settings are wrongly set in your device.
- It might also happen that you have accidentally turned off or disabled the touchpad.
- Sometimes, corrupted system files are also responsible for this issue.
Easy Troubleshooting Tips For Dead/Unresponsive Touchpads
Working on a laptop whose touchpad is not responding can be very frustrating and time-consuming. Even though you use an external mouse, it won’t do much to ease things for you. So, it is important to get your touchpad back on track as soon as possible.
In this section, we will offer you some easy tips to resolve this problem of “laptop touchpad not working HP”. These are discussed below:
Update the Touchpad Drivers
Outdated, corrupted or incompatible touchpad drivers are the major cause behind touchpad issues. Updating the touchpad drivers can successfully eliminate this problem. Follow these steps to update your laptop’s touchpad drivers:
- At first, press the ‘Windows’ key and the ‘X’ key together. This will launch the Windows Manager.
- Now, click on the ‘Mice and other pointing devices’
- From the dropdown list, choose your HP touchpad and select the ‘Properties’ option.
- After this, go to the Driver tab. Select the ‘Update Driver’ option.
- Next, click on ‘Browse my computer for driver software’
- Tap on the following option: ‘Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer’.
- Now, choose the HID-Compliant device and then click on ‘Next’.
- Finally, when the updated version of the touchpad driver is installed restart your laptop. Check whether the touchpad is working fine.
Go for Clean-boot
At times, the presence of third-party applications may interfere with the touchpad. In that case, you can perform a Clean-boot to eliminate the ‘HP laptop touchpad not working’ issue. You need to follow these instructions to give your laptop a clean boot:
Press the ‘Windows’ key and the ‘I’ key and select the ‘Devices’ option.
Choose the ‘Touchpad’ option situated on the left-hand side on the screen.
Now, click on the toggle that you will find under the touchpad option.
Finally, reboot the laptop and check if the touchpad still works.
In case, you are still experiencing the problem “HP laptop touchpad not working Windows 10”, move on to the next solutions.
Reinstall Touchpad Drivers
If the touchpad drivers are not present on your laptop, you need to reinstall them. Here’s what you need to do to reinstall the drivers:
- First, visit the official website of HP or the driver’s manufacturer.
- Now, click on the Support page and enter the model number and the service number of your HP laptop.
- Choose the ‘Drivers’ option and look for the touchpad driver compatible with your laptop model.
- Download the touchpad driver and install it on your laptop.
- Finally, restart the device and verify whether the touchpad is still unresponsive.
Make use of the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter
Every Windows-based device comes with an in-built troubleshooting tool. This tool enables you to find and rectify any kind of issue. You can use this tool to make your touchpad work again.
Click on the ‘Start’ button. Now in the search box, type ‘Control Panel’ and launch it.
Now, go to ‘Systems and Security’. From there, click on ‘Security and Maintenance’.
Next, choose the ‘Troubleshooting’ option and from the list, select ‘Configure a device’.
You will get to see a troubleshooting wizard on your screen. Follow the instructions given on the screen.
The Troubleshooter will scan through the problems and provide the necessary solutions.
Enable the Touchpad with Function Key
It might happen that you have unknowingly disabled the touchpad on your HP laptop. So, it is important to check whether the issue is happening due to this reason or not.
If that is the case, you have to re-enable it. You can enable the touchpad with the help of the Function keys. In HP laptops, you need to press a combination of the Fn and F3 buttons to bring it back to life.
In conclusion, we hope that all the solutions that we have provided here will be helpful for you to resolve the issue. The issue of ‘HP laptop touchpad not working’ is a common problem for many users worldwide. These solutions are simple, easy and highly effective. Do let us know about your feedback in the comments section.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I Enable the Touchpad of My HP laptop?
On the side of your HP laptop’s touchpad, you can find a small blue or orange LED light. This is the touchpad sensor on your laptop. When you double-tap on it, your touchpad will be enabled. Now, if you wish to disable it, you have to double-click on it again.