How To Fix Windows Update Error Code 0x80070057?
Error code 0x80070057 signifies that the Windows updates have failed. When you are trying to update the Operating System, you might encounter the Windows update error code 0x80070057 on your screen essentially.
Therefore, once you get this error code, the system will be unable to complete the update process and soon will get freeze.
This error code followed by an error message “There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help – (0x80070057)”.
There are various reasons for this error code to occur. One of the most common reasons is the incorrect parameter of the system. Apart from that, corrupted Windows update components and malware infections can also lead to this error code.
So, if you are also Windows users and encountering the same error on your PC then you can easily fix it by following the methods that are given below.
Trusted Techniques to Solve 0x80070057 Error
Below listed some of the easy and effective techniques in which you can easily solve the error code 0x80070057 on Windows 10 device. Just follow the techniques and apply the steps in a sequential manner:
Techniques 1 – Change the Decimal Symbol Settings
If the parameter is wrong then you can encounter the error code 0x80070057 on Windows 10 system. So, you need to change it. To do this, follow the undermentioned steps:
- At first, go to the Control Panel window
- On the Control Panel window, locate and select the Region and Language section.
- Select the Additional Settings button under the Formats tab.
- From the next window, select the Decimal Symbol and enter the “.” (dot) in the field type and then select the OK option to save it.
Techniques 2 – Add a Registry Key Value
This is one of the easiest ways in which you can fix this error code on your device. Therefore, follow these steps:
- Launch the Run box, type Regedit.exe and then hit the Enter button or click on the OK option.
- Once you are in the Registry Editor window, go to the following folders HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\SystemCertificates.
- On the SystemCertificate folder, select the Edit menu and choose the New option. After that, click on the DWORD Value.
- Next, locate the CopyFileBufferedSynchronousIo, right-click on it and select the Modify button.
- Enter 1 on the Value data box and select the OK button to save it. After finishing it, close the Registry Editor window and restart the system.
Techniques 3 – Reset Windows Update Components
When you see this error code on the screen, you can simply reset all the Windows update components on your computer. To reset it follow these instructions hereunder:
- Launch the Command Prompt window.
- Type the following commands one by one net stop bits, net stop wuauserv, net stop appidsvc, and net stop cryptsvc and then press the Enter button after typing each.
- Once these commands are executed, you will see these services have stopped.
- After stopping these services, delete the qmgr.dat update file by running the Command:
Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%Application DataMicrosoftNetworkDownloader*.*”
After executing it, you need to rename the Catroot2 and SoftwareDistribution folder.
To do that, open a Command Prompt window. Type the following commands and then press the Enter button after typing each.
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
After renaming these, you should start the service once again. To start the service, type the following commands net start bits, net start wuauserv, net start appidsvc, and net start cryptsvc and then hit the Enter button after typing each.
Once you are done with these steps, reboot your computer and then check if the error code still pops up or not.
Techniques 4 – Disable the Windows Firewall
Sometimes, if the Windows firewall feature is turned on then you might fail to update the system and receive this error code on the Windows 10 system. So, disable it by following these steps:
- First of all, navigate to the Control Panel.
- Locate and select the Windows Firewall section.
- From the Windows Firewall window, click on the Turn Windows Firewall On and Off option on the left panel.
- On the Right window, go to the Private Network Settings and Public Network Settings section and tick on the Turn Off Windows Firewall option from both sections.
- After that, click on the OK button to save it.
Techniques 5 – Uninstall the Third-Party Security Software
Sometimes, third-party security software can also be responsible for the error code 0x80070057. So, before starting the update process, remove the security software from the device. To remove it follow these directions cited below:
- From the keyboard, press the Windows home button and I key together to launch the Settings window.
- Go to the Apps sections and select the Apps and Features tab on the panel.
- On the right panel, scroll down the page until you find the third-party security software, select it. After that, you will see the Uninstall button, click on it.
- Once the uninstallation process is complete, reboot your computer and then try to update the device.
Techniques 6 – Perform the System File Checker Tool
Performing the System File Checker tool will help you to get rid of the error code 0x80070057 on the Windows 10 system. To perform the SFC tool, follow these steps as stated below:
- Click on the Start button and choose the Command Prompt (Admin) from that list.
- Once you are in the Command Prompt window, type SFC/scannow and then press the Enter button to run this.
- Once the scanning process is completed, reboot your device.
Techniques 7 – Run DISM Tool
If the System File Checker tool does not help you to solve the update error then, you can use the DISM tool of Windows. Hence, go through these steps:
- Open a Command Prompt window.
- Type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth in the Command Prompt window and then hit the Enter button.
- Once it completes, restart your computer and then check if the error code is still persisted or not.
Techniques 8 – Restart the Windows Update Service
If the Windows Update service is stopped working then, you will notice the error code 0x80070057 on your PC. So, restart the service. If you do not know how to start the service, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Open the Run window, type services.msc and then hit the Enter button or click on the OK option.
- From the Services window, scroll down the page and locate the Windows Update Service, right-click on it.
- After that, choose the Restart button to start the service.
- After following these steps, try to update the system and check if the error code still pops up or not.
Techniques 9 – Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
If you are searching for reliable and quick techniques to solve the Windows update error 0x80070057, then you can try to run the Windows update troubleshooter tool. Moreover, it is an inbuilt tool for Windows.
This tool quickly finds the problem and repair it so that you can easily install the OS update without any hassle. Let’s take a look into some steps which you can follow:
- First of all, launch the Settings window.
- Select the Update and Security section and then go to the Troubleshoot tab.
- On the Troubleshoot tab, select the Windows Update section. After that, click on the Run the Troubleshooter option.
- During the troubleshooting process, the system will find the error and fix it automatically by clicking on the Apply fix button.
- Once the process is finished, restart your PC.
Now, you are aware of how to fix error code 0x80070057 on the Windows 10 system. Hopefully, the above-mentioned techniques should help you to get rid of this error code without any hassle.