The error code 0x8007007e Windows 10 Update occurs when you attempt to update the Windows version and the process fails. The process might stop if there are any glitches or bugs within your PC.
It is an annoying situation if you are unable to update the Windows and explore its latest features. Therefore, we are going to specifically discuss the windows update error 0x80070002
12 in this article. Those who are struggling with this error can refer to this article for help.
Methods to Eliminate Error Code 0x8007007e Windows 10 Update
You can try out the following solutions to get rid of this error and start the Windows update:
Method 1: Reset Windows Update Components Manually
Here we are going to rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folders in order to solve this issue:
- Hold down the Windows key and press ‘X’ to open the Command Prompt.
- Type ‘net stop wuauserv’ in the command line and press ‘Enter.’
- Type ‘net start cryptSvc,’ ‘net start cryptSvc,’ and ‘msiserver’ one after another on Command Prompt and press ‘Enter’ to disable them.
- Now copy paste the ‘ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old’ on the Command Prompt window and hit ‘Enter.’
- Then type ‘net start wuauserv’ in the command line and press ‘Enter’ to restart the Windows services.
- Type ‘net start cryptSvc,’ ‘net start cryptSvc,’ and ‘msiserver’ one after another into the command line and press ‘Enter’ to execute them.
- Close the Command Prompt and see if you can update Windows or not.
Note: Don’t worry since some of the Windows services might start on their own.
Method 2: Rename CBS.Log File
Sometimes the CBS.Log file might get corrupted and prevent you from updating the Windows. You can some this problem simply by renaming the file in the following way:
- Press Windows key and ‘R’ at the same time to launch the Run application.
- Type ‘%systemroot%LogsCBS’ into the Run box and click the ‘OK’ button.
- Locate the CBS.Log file from the list of system files, right-click on it, and select the ‘Rename’ option.
- Then, give a different name to this file and click the ‘Save’ button.
Some of the users have failed to rename the BSS.Log file until and unless they stopped a couple of services. If you face the same difficulty, then try to stop the particular services manually. Thus, open the Run application and enter ‘services.msc’ in it to find Windows services. On the Services window, select Windows Modules Installer service. After that, double-click on it and set the ‘Startup Type’ to ‘Manual.’ Tap the ‘Apply’ or ‘OK’ button to let the changes take effect. Now, try to update Windows to ensure that you are no longer encountering the same error.
Method 3: Download Windows Update Manually
If an update of Windows fails, then it is a better option to download the update manually. For this, you require the number of your update by the steps given below:
- Access the Windows update section and look for the update code.
- Remember that the update code will have KB at the beginning followed by an array of numbers.
- Note down the number and visit the Microsoft Update Catalog website and enter the update code in the search box.
- Select the update matching your architecture from the list of matching updates.
- Then, click the ‘Download’ button next to the selected update to get the update on your PC.
- After downloading the missing update, run the setup file to install the update on your PC.
Method 4: Temporarily Uninstall the Antivirus
- Right-click on the Start menu and open the Control Panel.
- Then, click ‘System and Security’ on the Control Panel window, and choose Windows Defender Firewall.
- Click the ‘Turn Windows Firewall on or off’ link in the left pane and select the ‘Turn off Windows Firewall’ option.
- Restart the system and try to install the Windows update.
- If the Windows update fails and repeats the 0x8007007e error, then the antivirus is not the factor.
- Thus, you can re-enable the antivirus to protect your PC from external threats.
- So, right-click on the antivirus icon in the taskbar and select the ‘Enable’ option.
- If the enable option doesn’t appear, then double-click on the antivirus icon and select the same option from the popup.
Method 5: Check the Windows Update Service
Error code 0x8007007e Windows 10 update might occur if the Windows update service isn’t running on your PC. Thus, you need to ensure that this particular service is running by the following steps:
- Press Windows logo key and ‘R’ simultaneously to open the Run dialog box.
- Type ‘services.msc’ in the box and press ‘Enter’ to access the Services window.
- Then locate Windows Update Service from the list of services running on your PC.
- Right-click on the Windows Update Service and choose ‘Start’ from the context menu to enable it.
- Now, see whether you can update Windows without an error or not. If not, then continue with the next method.
Method 6: Check the Date and Time Settings
Windows update might fail if you haven’t set the date and time correctly on your PC. Hence, reset the date and time settings as perfectly as possible:
- Right-click on the date and time at the bottom right corner of the computer’s screen and select ‘Adjust date/time’ from the context menu.
- On the Settings app, turn of the toggle for ‘Set time automatically’ option.
- After a few seconds, turn on the toggle for ‘Set time automatically’ option.
- Alternatively, you can click the ‘Change’ button on the Settings window to adjust the date and time manually.
- After configuring the date and time correctly, try to install the Windows update.
Method 7: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows Update Troubleshooter is an effective way to fix update issues. Therefore, use this troubleshooter and try to resolve the issue by the steps mentioned below:
- Open the Settings app by using the combination of Windows key and ‘I’.
- Expand the ‘Update and security’ section and choose ‘Troubleshoot’ from the left pane.
- Then click ‘Windows Update’ in the right pane and hit the ‘Run Troubleshooter’ button below.
- Follow the on-screen wizards to complete the troubleshooting by using this troubleshooter.
- After the troubleshooter has fixed the issue, try to update Windows.
- If the problem is beyond the range of the troubleshooter, then you will need to move on to the next solution for solving it.
Method 8: Modify Windows Registry
Though we have explained this process, it is recommended to take expert opinion before modifying the registry. Otherwise, it might have adverse effects on your PC and the Operating System:
- Hold down the Windows logo key and press ‘R’ to open the Run application.
- Type ‘regedit’ into the Run box and press ‘Enter’ to open the Registry Editor.
- On the Registry Editor window, navigate to the ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionWindowsUpdateOSUpgradein’ path.
- Then, right-click on the empty space in the right pane and choose ‘New.’
- After that, select DWORD(32-bit’ Value from ‘New’ and enter ‘AllowOSUpgrade’ as the name of the new DWORD.
- Double-click on the new DWORD and select ‘Properties.’
- On the ‘Properties’ window, set the Value Date to ‘1’ and click the ‘Save’ button.
- Hope, the modification in Registry is going to fix the update issue.
Method 9: Perform an In-place Upgrade
An In-place upgrade will work if the Windows installation is damaged. This activity is going to force the Windows to upgrade to the latest version without affecting your files and applications. If you do an In-place upgrade, then you won’t have to reinstall Windows:
- Download a tool applicable to In-place upgrade and install it on your PC.
- Then run the tool and select the ‘Upgrade this PC now’ option.
- The setup process starts preparing the files necessary for installing the Windows update.
- When prompted, select the ‘Download and install updates’ option and click the ‘Next’ button.
- After the setup has downloaded the necessary files, follow the on-screen prompts.
- Click the ‘Change’ button on the ‘Ready to install’ screen and select your personal files and apps.
- Tap the ‘Next’ button and again follow the instructions to finish the setup.
- Now, you have the latest version of Windows installed on your PC.
Hope, this article will be useful to you and guide you in fixing the error code 0x8007007e Windows 10 update. If you have any queries regarding this article, then specify them in the comment section below.