Laptops are some of the best pieces of technology, and Acer happens to make some of the best ones. Now, these are not going to be free of trouble like every other one available. And because of some technical glitches, you might find that your Acer laptop freezes.
In that case, you might have a lot of issues in keeping up with your level of productivity. And the worst case is that you will end up losing out a lot of business opportunities.
Do not worry if that is what you are facing right now. You are going to be able to fix this issue all by yourself. And the instructions that you will find here in this article is going to help you do just that.
Also, if your Acer laptop freezes randomly and you try to fix it yourself there will be certain things that you will need to know as well. We have covered that as well in this article.
Possible Reasons why your Acer Laptop Freezes and is not Responding
Instead of going ahead and discussing the technical solutions for this problem a much more responsible approach is going to be to discuss the possible reasons for this error. It will give you 2 very important advantages when you are trying to fix this problem yourself.
First is that, with a proper understanding of the reasons why your Acer laptop freezes. You will be able to avoid a lot of different adverse effects that you might have caused. Something that would have made all your efforts counterproductive.
One thing that can be very common in a scenario such as this one, are all the unresponsive programs. These are not something that you will be able to use for any task, and just slows the system down.
When a lot of these are present in the system, then your Acer laptop can freeze. Especially if you are trying to run a resource-intensive program.
If there has been a virus attack on the system previously, but you have fixed it somehow, then this issue might as well come up.
Going a level up on the technological aspect, if the RAM is not powerful enough, then also this issue can come up and you will not be able to use your Acer laptop properly.
DIY Solutions: When Your Acer Laptop Freezes
Now, after discussing the possible reasons behind this system slowdown issue with your Acer laptop, let us check out all the solutions that you can apply. This will get that system working again properly.
Try to identify the exact cause of this problem in you case. So, that you can go for the solution from this list right here. Otherwise, just apply these methods one by one to solve the problem.
Try to Detect any Overheating
The environment in which you are using your Acer laptop matters more than you think. As overheating can be a very common issues if you use the laptop at room temperature.
Now, when this happens, it is going to throttle the system performance quite a bit. It starts when you use your Acer laptop for some complex task, which requires a lot of processing power. Naturally, it is going to create a lot of pressure on the system.
As a result of which your Acer laptop freezes.
So, the first thing that you should do is shut the system down and keep it in a cool place. Let is sit for a while as the temperature comes down. Then, you can start using it normally once again.
In case it persists, go for the next solution method up next.
Use the Windows Reliability Monitor
You can use the Reliability Monitor tool that comes with the Windows operating system. Although this tool is relatively less popular than the others, but can prove to be very useful in this scenario.
Here is how you will be able to identify and then fix the problem using this software tool.
- Launch the Windows Control Panel section and look for the Security and Maintenance section. Click on it to expand and the new window will come up from there.
- Now, look for the Maintenance section, click and expand it. Within that, click on the View Reliability History option.
- Now, you will see the Reliability Monitor control window on the screen.
- From here, you will get the option for diagnosis of the entire system to identify the actual issue.
You are going to get the option for troubleshooting that the WIndows Reliability Monitor has identified. As you click on it to start the process, it is going to take some time to complete.
As it does, just restart and then check if still your Acer laptop freezes.
Scan for Malware in the System
Malwares can be notorious for causing technical problems in computers. And system performance slowdown is one of the most common manifestations of that.
So, you will have to scan for any kind of malware in the system and then eliminate that. And here is how you can do that.
- First launch the antivirus system that you use, and go to the home window.
- Look for the option for performing a full scan on the device. And as you find that option, click on it to start the process.
- You will have to wait for some time for this process to complete. As this is a full scan, it will take some time and you will have to wait.
- As the full scan process is complete, you will find a list of the malwares that are affecting the system.
- You can start the process of quarantining all those malwares from there on.
As you do that, you will be able to restore the proper performance from your Acer laptop once again. Just restart your laptop as you are done with the task.
Check the RAM of your System
If the RAM that is there in your Acer laptop is somehow not holding up to the task requirements, then that can very well create issues like this. Further, your laptop will work really slow because of that.
So, you will have to check for any issues with your RAM and if you find it, you will have to fix it. Here is how you can check for that using the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool.
- Open the Windows Run dialogue box first by pressing the Windows key and the R key together.
- Once it is there on the screen, type in mdsched.exe into the search panel there. Press the Enter key after that to launch the Windows Memory Diagnostics tool.
- To carry out the identification test, you will have to restart the laptop once. You will get an option to do this through a dialogue box, which you will have to agree to.
- After the computer is back on again, you will find the Memory Diagnostics tool open on the screen.
- To indicate completion of the process, there will be a Status bar. And as the process completes, the tool will show you the issues, if any.
- Now, open up the Event Viewer section from the Run dialogue box. From there, go to the Windows Logs and then to the System section.
- In that window, type in MemoryDiagnostic in the proper section, after that click on the Find Next button.
It is from here that you are going to get complete results of the diagnostic process. With this you will know what issues you RAM is having, and can fix it from there.
Force Stop all the Unresponsive Programs
Programs that you do not use that often, or the ones that do not work, weighs the system down. It can be in terms of storage space, or more than that on the performance of the system.
If your Acer laptop freezes, then this can be the cause of that in all likelihood. That is why you will have to stop all of those, and here is how to.
- In any section of the laptop home screen, do a right-click. Then, from the dropdown list that appears, click on the New option, and then click on the Shortcut option.
- The system will now ask for a location for the shortcut that you are trying to create. For that, type in the command – “taskkill /f /fi “status eq not responding”.
- Now, you will have to name that shortcut, so pick a name for that and type it in. After you do that, click on the Finish button.
- Select all the programs that you want to force stop and just double-click on them in succession.
This way you will be able to stop all the programs and restore proper performance of your system once again.
Now, you have all the solution that you can take when your Acer laptop freezes. But, there is some possibility that all these methods does not give you the solution. In that case, you can check out the comments and add one of your own as well with the question.