How To Fix Dell Error Code 2000-0142 On Windows OS [Solved]
If you note that the device is freezing constantly and you are unable to copy or save any documents, then it is a definite indication that there is a hard drive error.
Are you getting Dell Error Code 2000-0142 on your Dell laptop? Don’t worry. This article will provide you with the most possible solutions to fix this problem.
When you will get Dell hard drive error code 2000-0142 then you need to fix the problem at the earliest. Otherwise, it can lead to data corruption, making the device non-functional.
The only way to detect the problem is with the help of the PSA (Pre-boot System Analysis)Test. Now, we would recommend you to follow this article to resolve the problem at the earliest.
Methods to Solve Dell Hard Drive Error Code 2000-0142
To fix the error, you have to follow the instructions mentioned below to get rid of the Dell hard drive error code 2000-0142.
Fix 1: Perform a Disk Check
You can remove the Dell Error Code 2000-0142 error easily by performing a disk check using the Command Prompt. You will also need the Windows installation disk to proceed.
- Put the Windows installation disc in the disc drive and now you have to reboot the system.
- You have to hold the F8 key as soon as the device starts.
- Now, you have to select the “DVD” drive from the Boot menu.
- Choose the language, Time and Currency, and input method from the “Install Windows” tab.
- Then, you have to click on “Next” to complete the installation process.
- After clicking the Next button, you will find the “Repair Your Computer” option.
- Choose the operating system that you are using in the Dell system. Now, you have to click on the “Next” button.
- A System Recovery Options tab will appear on the screen. Choose the “Command Prompt” section from that tab.
- After that, write “Chkdsk/f/r” in the Command Prompt.
To fix the Dell Error Code 2000-0142 error in the Windows 10 system, you have to perform the following steps:
- Go to the Search box and write “Command Prompt”. Hit the Enter key to complete the search procedure.
- From the searched results choose the “Command prompt” option.
- Now, you have to execute the “Chkdsk/f/” command.
Wait for the completion of the process. Now, restart the device and check if the Dell Error Code 2000-0142 is still there.
Fix 2: Perform the “S.M.A.R.T” Test
Before you opt to replace the hard drive, you have to first perform the S.M.A.R.T (Self-monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology) test. This will definitely fix the Dell Error Code 2000-0142.
S.M.A.R.T Test is primarily meant for checking the hard drive and to identify the reason behind the hard disk breakdown. All you have to do is follow the steps given below:
Note: Before starting the following process, you have to replace the IDE/SATA Cable to find the actual reason for the driver failure of Dell Error Code 2000-0142.
You have to Boot the Computer/Laptop. Now, navigate to the BIOS utility. If you are a Windows 10 user, you have to hold down the F12 key at the time of rebooting the device. If you use Windows XP then hold down the F1 key.
Now, you have to choose the faulty hard drive and then press the “Enter” button. Choose the “SMART” support option and press the “Enter” key again. For the completion of the S.M.A.R.T Test, you have to choose any one of the following options:
- SMART Status Check: This test is for checking the Hard Disk’s Status.
- Short SMART Self Test: If you want to run a short-self-test on the Hard disk, you can perform the Short Self Test.
- Extended SMART Self Test: To run an extended self-test on the Hard Disk Driver you can run this device test.
When you are done with the above steps, you have to press the “Esc” button to complete the process. Now, restart the device and check for the Dell Hard Drive Error Code 2000-0142.
Fix 3: Run the Built-in and Online Diagnostics Test
To fix the error Dell Hard Drive Error Code 2000-0142, you can also run the built-in and online diagnostics test. Dell error code 0142 is a common error in the Dell Laptop. So, Dell provides its users with built-in and online diagnostics tools.
The most common is the PSA (Dell Pre-Boot System Assessment) and Enhanced Pre-Boot System Assessment (ePSA). If after this test, no as such Hard Drive issue is found, you need to understand that the main error is within the Operating system.
To run the tests, you have to go through the following steps:
You have to boot the Dell Laptop, by holding down the F12 to enter into the One-Time Boot Menu and now select the “Diagnostics” option after that. If for any reason the diagnostics test fails, you have to note the validation to progress further.
Another way to run the dIagnostics test is to visit the Dell Support site. Navigate to the Service tab and click on the Diagnostics option to complete the test.
If the above methods did not work out, you can simply replace the Hard Disk Driver. To carry out the process you need an external USB Hard Drive Disk converter. You can also use a Secondary Drive to check if the error persists.
If you find that the Windows files are corrupted, you can still read the Hard Disk Driver of the Dell Laptop/Computer. In this article, we have discussed some of the best methods to resolve the Dell Error Code 2000-0142. Share your queries or leave feedback in the comment section below.