The scroll pad on the Acer laptop may stop working due to some compatibility issues between the hardware and the OS. When you get this error, the touchpad can become fully unresponsive. Somehow, if the Acer scroll pad not working, you can’t navigate within the laptop.
There are various reasons for the occurrence of this issue. Some common causes include touchpad driver is not up to date, disabled ETD service, critical hardware problem, etc. Also, if the scroll pad is not enabled, you can face this issue.
Read this article fully in order to get the relevant answers to solve this touchpad problem in Acer.
Solutions to Try when Acer Scroll Pad not Working
In this section, we will discuss a few methods that will help you to get rid of this mousepad problem easily.
Method 1: Activate Touchpad
If the touchpad of the laptop is not enabled, then you can get this issue. Now, the best answer to resolve this problem you will have to simply enable the touchpad of the laptop. In order to try that, follow the steps below.
- First, tap on both the ‘Windows + R’ keys together. This will open up a new Run dialog box. Here, type ‘control’ and tap on the ‘OK’ button.
- As soon as you do that, the ‘Control Panel’ window will come up. Inside that window, tap on the ‘Hardware and Sound’ option.
- Next, choose the ‘Devices and Printers’ option. Also, choose the ‘Devices’ category and right-click on the touchpad that is not working on Acer. Now, choose the ‘Mouse Settings’ option.
- At this moment, hit the ‘Device Settings’ tab and select the ‘Enable’ button.
Finally, restart the laptop and check if the scroll pad is working or not.
Method 2: Turn on ETD Service
If the ETD services are not active, it is a huge possibility due to which the Acer scroll pad not working anymore. The only solution to get rid of this problem is to activate the ETD service on the machine. So, follow these steps below in order to proceed with this solution.
- First, press the three keys ‘Ctrl+Shift+Esc’ together to open the ‘Task Manager’ option on Windows.
- Inside that window, select the ‘Services’ tab. Here, all the services for every hardware and software are enlisted.
- Next, from that list, locate and choose the ‘ETD’ service and right-click on it. After that, from the popup menu choose the ‘Start Service’ option. This action will activate the ‘ETD’ service on Windows.
- Now, close the ‘Task Manager’ window and then restart the computer.
Finally, check whether this issue has been resolved by navigating using the touchpad.
Method 3: Re-install Touchpad Driver
In some cases where Acer Aspire touchpad is not working or malfunctions, you may encounter this error. Now, the best solution to resolve this issue is to reinstall the touchpad driver once again. The steps are as follows.
- First, tap on both the keys ‘Windows + X’ simultaneously. This will open the ‘Options Menu’. Next, choose the ‘Device Manager’ option.
- Inside this window, there are several device categories along with their respective drivers. From that list, choose and double-click on the ‘Mice and other pointing devices’ category to reveal all the drivers.
- Now, from the sublist, select the touchpad driver and then right-click on it. After that, from the popup menu, choose the ‘Uninstall’ option.
- As soon as you do that, a confirmation box will appear. Here, select the ‘OK’ button to remove the touchpad driver.
- Once the removal process is complete, go to the menubar and select ‘Action’. Now, choose the ‘Scan for hardware changes’ option.
- This action will look for the missing touchpad driver within the laptop and then install the same automatically.
At last, when the installation procedure of the touchpad driver is over, restart the machine to confirm any changes to the device.
Method 4: Disable Touchpad Delay
If the touchpad delay is active, you can face this problem with the scroll pad. Hence, the best way to get rid of this problem is to deactivate the touchpad delay. To do it in an easy way, just follow the steps below.
- First, tap on the combination of ‘Windows + I’ keys altogether to launch a new ‘Settings’ window.
- Inside that window, locate and choose the ‘Devices’ option. After that, select the ‘Mouse and touchpad’ option.
- Next, when another page appears, select the ‘Additional Mouse Options’ link.
- Now, go to the ‘Touchpad’ section. Under this section, select ‘Settings’ and then choose the ‘Advanced’ option.
- To deactivate the touchpad delay, choose the ‘No delay (always on)’ option.
Lastly, restart the computer and check whether this issue persists or not.
Method 5: Activate Two-Finger Scrolling
Sometimes, you may observe Acer’s two-finger scroll not working due to some reason. If the two-finger scrolling feature is not activated on the machine, you are likely to experience this error. So, the correct way to rectify this problem is to enable the two-finger scrolling feature. Here is how to do it.
- First, go to method one and follow the initial three steps to open the ‘Hardware and Sound’ option.
- Inside that window, locate the ‘Devices and Printers’ option. Next, choose the ‘Mouse’ link.
- As soon as you click on that link, a new dialog box for ‘Mouse Properties’ will come up.
- Here, locate and choose the ‘Device Settings’ tab. Also, highlight the ‘Synaptics Touchpad’ option from the list and click the ‘Settings’ button.
- Now, another dialog box with the heading ‘ Synaptics Touchpad Properties’ will come up. So, locate the ‘MultiFinger Gestures’ option and expand the same. Next, put a checkmark on the box beside the ‘Two-Finger Scrolling’ feature.
Finally, tap the ‘Apply’ buttons and check whether Acer’s scroll pad is working properly.
Method 6: Utilize Hardware Troubleshooter
If none of the above methods work and resolve this issue, use the hardware troubleshooting tool for Windows 10 as the last resort. To apply this method, follow the steps below.
- First, tap on the ‘Windows’ logo key to reveal the ‘Startup Menu’. Next, choose the ‘Gear’ icon and wait for ‘Windows Settings’ to come up.
- Now, choose the ‘Updates & Security’ option and go to the ‘Troubleshoot’ option. Next, go to the right pane of that page and select the ‘Hardware and Devices’ option. Then, go to the bottom-right edge and choose the ‘Run the troubleshooter’ button.
- Another window will come up where the troubleshooting process for all hardware and devices will begin automatically. So, wait for this procedure to get over.
Once this process is completed, reboot the machine and see if this issue with the touchpad is present or not.
If the touchpad or two-finger scroll of the Acer laptop is not working, then just follow all the steps discussed above to rectify it. Despite following all the methods in the previous section, if you can’t mitigate this problem, then worry not. We can help throughout our posts. We hope you will get the relevant answer from our end.